• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Tag: L

Rebel Rose

I think 'L' will be a fun addition to our wine alphabet game, as there are a number of regions, wineries and productions that begin with 'L'.

Feel free to share your reviews and experiences on any wine that begins with 'L'. Which reminds me, I need to get my hands on some more of that fabulous L'Aventure rose' before June!

And remember, you can always add to our growing wine alphabet game here: Wine Tag: A to Z

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

To quote Christian's :cool: tasting notes:

Four Vines 2004 Paso Robles

Spanish Tempranillo Blend

Loco

Tempranillo from the "Tres Cajones Vineyard" in Templeton is blended

with Syrah and Grenache. Massive, massive wine. Big fruit, big structure,

big balls…in fact three. On the palate, big black fruit that seems to resonate

with angst. Huge structure with rich tannins; long, long, long on the mouth;

a rich oak finish.

I'm not sure that I could have said it better myself :wink::laugh:

It's a bit of a stretch, but. . .

2000 Louis Michel Chablis Montee de Tonnerre, Premier Cru. Just a quick impression here. Rocky, flinty, with some "deeper, earthy" mineral notes as well. Good acidity. Citrus taking a back seat to the minerals.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Leroy

In 2004, Lalou made a Bourgogne from declassified Pommard les Vignots, Savigny les Narbantons, Volnay Santentots, Corton-Renardes, Clos de Vougeot & Clos de la Roche. I am told, the reasons for this are two-fold; first, the weather made hand sorting mandatory and there was very little fruit worth keeping, and, second, she lost her husband just prior to harvest and was so distraught, she turned over winemaking duties to her staff and ordered the declassification.

The wine is remarkable. It exhibits the building blocks for one of those out-of-body-only-Burgundy-can-provide experiences. It is also selling at more than $100/bottle (after being released closer to $65).

But as much as I rail against expensive bottles and search for the QPR champs, this wine is something I went long on.

How many times does one get to buy Leroy for this price, let alone have it be so richly endowed?

Best, Jim

Edited by Florida Jim (log)

www.CowanCellars.com

Shouldn't we be saying something about the wines rather than just listing things? I thought that this thread was to share our wine experiences in an alphabetically sequential fashion.

Of course, I haven't contributed yet! I'll have to look under "L" in the cellar.

Shouldn't we be saying something about the wines rather than just listing things? I thought that this thread was to share our wine experiences in an alphabetically sequential fashion.

You're right, it is. But we won't stop people from listing wines that fit the theme.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero