• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone have a Five Star Oven Range? Good/Bad?

Vinotas

Hey everyone,

My 13-year old 30" GE gas oven range finally died a few weeks ago and I've been researching options for a replacement. A friend swears by his Five Star gas range, and I've been looking at it for quite some time.

The price is right (approx $2,400), the size is right (30"), and it's a stainless steel gas range/oven with capacity for simmer and high heat (14K BTUs).

Just what I need and want for a small NYC apartment.

So, does anyone have this, and if so, are they happy with it?

Thanks all!

Cheers! :cool:

Edited by Vinotas (log)

I had to replace my range recently, and after a great deal of research and 'kicking of tires', I bought a Bosch Evolution 700 series gas range. It has a 16K burner, several simmer-capable burners, a warming drawer, and a BIG oven with convection option. List is about $2000 for mostly stainless (black trim), a little higher for all stainless. :wub:

I had to replace my range recently, and after a great deal of research and 'kicking of tires', I bought a Bosch Evolution 700 series gas range. It has a 16K burner, several simmer-capable burners, a warming drawer, and a BIG oven with convection option. List is about $2000 for mostly stainless (black trim), a little higher for all stainless.  :wub:

Baroness,

Is it safe to assume you're satisfied so far with the Bosch? Also, did you need to get a ventilation or recirculation hood? My oven is right by my kitchen window, so venting would not be an issue.

Finally, where did you find it and were you happy with their service? Did they install?

Thanks! :cool:

Yes, I've been VERY happy with the Bosch. It's easy on the eyes, very solidly built, and has more features than I'll ever need. Take a look at their website...

I already had an excellent ventilation hood. The manual doesn't mention any special ventilation requirements.

I found the best combination of price and service @ Lucci (718.448.1515). They have an installer available, who is very good.

Happy shopping!

Yes, I've been VERY happy with the Bosch. It's easy on the eyes, very solidly built, and has more features than I'll ever need. Take a look at their website...

I already had an excellent ventilation hood. The manual doesn't mention any special ventilation requirements.

I found the best combination of price and service @ Lucci (718.448.1515). They have an installer available, who is very good.

Happy shopping!

Thanks Baroness! I'll definitely look into it.

If I had to buy a new 30" range today, I would look very hard at the 30" Capital Precision series. It has five burners, including a 25k integrated wok burner in the center, rotisserie, great broiler, convection, racks that slide all the way out, and a whole slew of other features. See it here.

I'm glad that I'm not in the market, though, because there so many great choices out there that it would be hard to decide.

If I had to buy a new 30" range today, I would look very hard at the 30" Capital Precision series.

The new Capitals are sweet, but someone should tell the OP that the 30" range is close to $5,000! :shock::blink:

If I wanted to stay in the $2,500 neighborhood, I'd give the BlueStar RCS30 a good look -- not nearly as polished as the Capital, but still a very solid piece of equipment...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

If I wanted to stay in the $2,500 neighborhood, I'd give the BlueStar RCS30 a good look -- not nearly as polished as the Capital, but still a very solid piece of equipment...

I didn't know that the Capitals were that expensive. Wow. Still, though, if you've only got 30" to work with, I would at least take a look.

I have a Bluestar cooktop and it is the bomb. I could not be happier. It is genuinely a pleasure to prepare food on the Bluestar. I have no complaints, whatsoever.

Yup, we're happy BlueStar RNB owners as well (need a better pic, though), and would definitely recommend their products to anyone. I decided to go for it based on all of the positive feedback over at the GardenWeb Appliance forum, and to this day the product still gets solid reviews on that forum.

Just in case the OP needs anymore convincing, here's a random quote from some random retailer :wink: :

...Marcus [samuelsson] will soon have plenty of time to use the BlueStar range when his very own BlueStar range is fitted into his personal kitchen at home.

I must say, it was surprising to look around the show and see some of the more recognizable range companies with malfunctioning digital displays, product reps who were less than knowledgeable about their state-of-the-art appliances, and old technology hidden behind re-designed fascia.

While simplicity, pure burner power, easy clean, huge capacity, color and design may not be for everyone, in my mind BlueStar has it right...build cooking machines that work well, cook well, and stand up to the test of time and use.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Wow, thanks for all the info. As kbjesq said, the market is FULL of great-looking ranges, though finding one that will fit my needs/budget is becoming a full-time job. Unless I start thinking kitchen renovation, I can't do more than 30", and I'm in a NYC apartment (though I cook almost every night as I work from home). The oven would be right by the window, so I don't think venting would be an issue (or at least too much of an issue).

I'll definitely look into the BlueStar, any good suppliers out there?

Thanks all, I REALLY appreciate it!

Cheers! :cool: