• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Generic "fried fish"

In my general area (central NY state) we have a tradition that has been around for a long, long time as it is in other places that either do or once did have a large Roman Catholic community. It's the "Friday Fish Fry".

There used to be dozens of shops in our small city, many of which were open only on Friday, that served up deep fried haddock filets as well as French fries, cold salad items and perhaps onion rings, fried scallops or a few other staple items. Early in my childhood we actually got our Friday fish fry at a retail counter in a potato chip factory that was on our side of town - it was their only retail service of any kind.

Although many of those little shops have fallen by the wayside some have survived and others - open on a daily basis - have supplanted them along with the local grocery store chains that now offer "fried fish" on Friday in their seafood departments.

But there's the rub. What used to be fried haddock - in a very ubiquitous way - is now quite often labeled simply as "fried fish".

In many cases I find it to have less desirable characteristics than haddock. It's nearly always more bland and sometimes has a less desirable texture. Sometimes it's pretty darn close but inconsistency is its hallmark.

I understand this to be due to the fact that a variety of different mild, white-fleshed fish may be used. Some suggest that it's the generic variety called "scrod" here in the Northeast but my local fish vendor advises that "scrod" is a size definition. For example.... (according to him) .... there is scrod hadddock, scrod cod, etc.

So what is this now ubiquitous fish that I'm often less than enthused about? Is it pollock, cod, inferior haddock - what on earth is this stuff? How many varieties might there actually be?

Note to self: never order fish and chips in an Irish pub in a so-called fishing village on the Irish coast - not ever again (it was in Dingle). It was unequivocally the worst fish I have ever eaten in my life.

Could be Basa or Vietnamese farmed catfish. I remember growing up in Clearwater Florida and this little place near the bridge use to serve all you can eat fish. Way back then it was grouper which was not a popular fish at the time as everyone wanted snapper.