• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steak

brescd01

they're the organic produce guys in the middle of the terminal next to dinic's roast pork.  they put a sign out about grass-fed beef when they have it.

Livengood's is only at the RTM on Saturdays (though when the growing season is in full swing they may also appear on Fridays). They are located in center court by Tommy DiNic's, as mrbigjas notes. Once the strawberries begin in late May, they'll probably sell at some small farmers' markets in town: Tuesdays from 3 to 7 p.m. at South & Passyunk (between 4th and 5th), and Thursdays from 3 to 7 p.m. at Fairmount & 22nd.

Fair Food is open at the RTM Wednesday-Sunday.

At both Livengood and Fair Food the grass-fed beef is usually sold frozen, though sometimes you can catch fresh meat at FF if it's just been delivered.

Also offering grass-fed, hormone-free beef at the RTM is Giunta's Prime Shop (located across from Iovine Brothers Produce). I very much enjoy Giunta's skirt and hanger steaks, both of which are great on the grill. His meat is sold fresh, not frozen.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I went to the Lobel's web site where there are clear instructions on how to cook steak. I think I got them right for the first time tonight, on two steaks from BJ's and they were fabulous, the best I have ever prepared at home. I highly recommend learning how to cook steaks before wasting any time or effort on getting the expensive restaurant-grade meat. The next step is to find out what that grass-fed stuff tastes like....

Sorry, I should have said, the winner on Earth where we don't apend more than $20 for a steak.

In that case, I would recommend a dry aged prime Ribeye from Wegmans (my house steak). It is pretty good at $25/lb or so. If you are lucky, you will come across a few on sale for around $15.99/lb.

I had Wegman's dry aged prime ribeye this weekend. It was great. I was disappointed that it wasn't offered bone in. Unfortunately, I cooked them on a grill that was new to me and over did them a little. Despite that, they were still terrific. When I think ahead, I order steaks from Niman Ranch. I cooked their dry aged prime rib for Christmas and it was sublime.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

For mail order Waygu try:

http://www.1800kobebeef.com/

Anshu is offering an additional discount to egullet users.

I have several of his Australian and Japanese grades. Last week, I got an email from him saying would I like one of the best steaks currently in the US, I said yes and . . . .

Tonight we will cook

gallery_49232_4200_791248.jpg

What a piece of meat. Not sure whether to sear it on a 800 degree pan or to cook it on a Binchotan charcol grill

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update: I ended up giving up on getting restaurant-grade stake, just too expensive. Even $20/lb seemed too pricey to me from the sources that have been suggested. But I did check out Lobel's web site, which has some clear cooking instructions for steak (idiot proof) and I followed them and I made the best steak I have ever grilled. So I am focusing on the method, which does make a huge difference.

We stopped by Wegmans yesterday on the way back from Fuji in Haddonfield, and I picked up beautiful rib eyes for $8.20/lb, which I think is an incredible deal. They had the aged sort but thse were really expensive, I think $30/lb. The price I paid is close to what I paid at BJ's shopping club, which has no service and besides its steak price (I think $7/lb), was nothing special.

Edited by brescd01 (log)