• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dead dough

prasantrin

I started making no-knead bread a week ago, but got a bit too busy so I put it in the fridge for a slower second rise. Well, that was a week ago. I'm assuming I shouldn't bake it anymore, but what should I do with it? My options are:

1) Throw it away as is

2) Bake it, then throw it away

3) Bake it, and maybe try to eat it

What do you suggest? I'm afraid that if I throw it away as is, it will continue to grow and eventually explode--kind of like what happens with that "friendship" bread or cake or whatever that never really dies.

I started making no-knead bread a week ago, but got a bit too busy so I put it in the fridge for a slower second rise.  Well, that was a week ago.  I'm assuming I shouldn't bake it anymore, but what should I do with it?  My options are:

1)  Throw it away as is

2)  Bake it, then throw it away

3)  Bake it, and maybe try to eat it

What do you suggest?  I'm afraid that if I throw it away as is, it will continue to grow and eventually explode--kind of like what happens with that "friendship" bread or cake or whatever that never really dies.

Divide it.

In similar circumstances I've used it as a pre-ferment in my bread, understanding from the start that its leavening power is about nil. However, the flour in your starter is nicely aged, and the level of bacterial activity will be high, so there's flavour to be had, there. Use up to 3/4 of it in your next batch of bread, and refresh the remaining 1/4 with new water and flour. Leave the renewed starter at room temperature for several hours, until you begin to see signs of yeast activity, then refrigerate it and maintain it as usual.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Divide it. 

In similar circumstances I've used it as a pre-ferment in my bread, understanding from the start that its leavening power is about nil.  However, the flour in your starter is nicely aged, and the level of bacterial activity will be high, so there's flavour to be had, there.  Use up to 3/4 of it in your next batch of bread, and refresh the remaining 1/4 with new water and flour.  Leave the renewed starter at room temperature for several hours, until you begin to see signs of yeast activity, then refrigerate it and maintain it as usual.

Interesting! I've always read about people using starters, but I've been afraid of trying it.

Would you add a little more yeast (I've been using SAF, and I only used 1/8 teaspoon for 215g flour/170g water for half a no-knead recipe) once you've added more water and flour?

Would that make my bread something like a sourdough? Sourdough is hard to find in Japan, so I'd be happy if I could make some (even if it's the result of an accident!).

if there was already yeast added, i wouldn't add more. just add more water and flour and as chromedome recommended, allow it to sit at room temp to see if there is any activity. if there is, you're set. then you can refrigerate it and you can refresh it about once or twice a week (if maintained at fridge temp).