• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The frustration of slicing cheese for sandwiches

Fat Guy

I love cheese on my sandwiches. And when I make sandwiches at home, I like to use meats and cheeses that I'd never be able to get at a deli. The cheeses I use on sandwiches at home are delicious, but the slices themselves are rarely satisfactory. Usually I have to pile up many small slices, or the slices crumble, or they're sticky/gloppy, depending on the cheese.

It seems there's an inverse relationship between the quality of a cheese and the quality of slices you get out of it. Crummy deli cheese comes in big blocks a cross-section of which covers a sandwich-size slice of bread, and its texture is such that it slices thin without crumbling or clumping. A great cheese, on the other hand, may be impossible to acquire in a large piece, and its texture is unlikely to be sandwich-slicing appropriate -- certainly it's hard to find a great cheese that meets all the criteria.

How to cope?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

If you are satisfied with several thin slices stacked on the sandwich to equal one thick slice, a cheese plane is the way to go. Also, even tho the "rule" is to leave cheese out to reach room temp before it's eaten, cold cheese is much easier to slice in one piece. So slice and put on a plate loosely wrapped with wax paper or saran?

Maybe try a cheese wire. you don't have to buy one of those expensive plastic based things, just a simple wire with two handles should do the trick.

A

Yes.

Having recently realized that I'd been a fool for consuming only low-sodium cheeses & gone back to adding good cheese to my sandwiches, I found myself with the same frustration. I'd never had a wire slicer so decided to try one.

After contemplating several Amazon models that cost over $20 and almost buying a $12 slicer at BB&B before deciding that it felt too heavy, I went for the $3.99 Ekco model from my local ShopRite's gadget rack. It's adjustable, well balanced & wonderfully efficient.

I find that it's not too useful for REALLY soft & REALLY hard cheeses, but for the vast range in between, it's brilliant.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I've found that panini-ing the sandwiches melts the cheese and that way you won't have to worry about odd pieces of cheese falling out as you attempt to eat your sandwich.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

In addition to all the above suggestions (all of which I agree with and have resorted to at one point or another), I would put forth another strategy--to make some kind of spread using the cheese in question. No, not the same mouthfeel as a slice of cheese--but it does guarantee that you get an even layer of cheesy goodness across your entire sandwich.

(sez she who has fond memories of the roast beef and Boursin sandwiches on thick slabs of artisanal bread once made by Formaggio's when they were a sandwich shop in Harvard Square in the late 1970s)

My sister says that cheese wires and other slicers are regularly used in the Netherlands on pliable Dutch cheese, so she sent me one. Hmmm...every time I use it, the wire comes out of the handles :wacko: .

I only ever use it on processed or cheddar cheese, because other cheese is sold in pieces too small to slice :smile: .