• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Doyon Dough Sheeter?

khilde

I am in the market for a countertop dough sheeter (for making croissants, etc.). There is one made by Doyon which is certainly more affordable than a Rondo, but I have not been able to talk to anyone who has used one. I certainly don't want to make a purchase like this without having some feedback. Does anyone have any knowledge of the Doyon? Would it be worth an extra $4,000 to just go ahead and get the Rondo instead? Also, since I live in a very small town, I am concerned about any professional maintenance either sheeter might need. Are dough sheeters prone to breaking down a lot or are they fairly low maintenance? Any feedback would be MOST appreciated!! Thanks. :biggrin:

I couldnt' tell from your links exactly what model you are thinking about for the Doyon. I do know that for pastries and croissant you're going to want a reversible sheeter, which Rondo only makes, and are substantially more expensive than single pass sheeters, so be sure when comparing you're looking at the same type. (You probably know this already, but I'm telling you just in case you're comparing apples to oranges)

I do know Rondo are very reliable, and they hold their value pretty well. You might consider a used one. You can call Rondo directly and they can advise you on the best model to buy, since some of the older models are expensive to work on and might not work out to be a value in the long term.

I agree with Dan, that you should try to find a way to try one out, or at the very least take a look at one. You'll be able to see right off the bat whether the Doyon is made well.

Also, take a look at Oliver sheeters. They seem fairly reasonable.

Keep me informed of your decision. I've been lusting after a sheeter for almost a year, but our bakery is temporarily closed since we lost our lease, and I can't buy one until we're solid on our new location.

One other thing is to be sure to check for 3-phase or 2-phase, as I'm sure you know electrical installation is super expensive right now due to the price of copper.

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

Thank, danlepard and sugarseattle, for your advice. I am going to call the Doyon dealer and see if there are some bakeries nearby where I can go look at these sheeters. Sugarseattle, I will keep you informed as to what I do end up getting! Thanks again to both of you.

I got lucky finding my sheeter. It is a standup full size Rondo reversible sheeeter. It is over 35 years old and works great, needs very little maintenance and we use it almost everyday. Mostly for cookie bases for our desserts, rugelach dough, pie and pastry dough as well as Rolled Fondant. I dont know know about the Doyon, but I agree that you should try it before buying.

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman