• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MaryIsobel

MaryIsobel

You are all correct but for the fact that our house is "bastardized construction." The original home was built by my grandfather and great uncle in 1959. When my parents bought the property there was a roughed in house on it, so they followed the existing footprint. When we bought and renovated it down to the floorboards in 1998, we stuck to the existing foorprint  to save money. Walls were/are 8'4" because back in the day, 2x4's were acutally 2x4s and 2 x 8s were actually 2x8 so with the headers and footers, came to 8'4". Drywall nightmare and that is the tip of the iceberg. God bless their souls for building the house for my parents but the strange plumbing and electrical gave us and continues to give us no end of issues. Given the fact that I have lived on this property all my life except for a few years in my late teens and early twenties, it will be very hard for me to leave but what keeps me motivated is the fact that a smaller, newer house and a smaller property will feel like a step up.

MaryIsobel

MaryIsobel

You are all correct but for the fact that our house is "bastardized construction." The original home was built by my grand ather and great uncle in 1959. When my parents bought the property there was a roughed in house on it, so the followed the existing footprint. When we rbought and enovaated it down to the floorboards in 1998, we stuck to the existing foorprint  to save money. Walls were/are 8'4" because back in the day, 2x4's were acutally 2x4s and 2' x 8's were actually 2'x8' so with the headers and footers, came to 8'4". Drywall nightmare and that is the tip of the iceberg. Godbless their souls for building the house for my parents but the strange plumbing and electrical gave us and continues to give us no end of issues. Given the fact that I have lived on this property all my life except for a few years in my late teens and early twenties, it will be very hard for me to leave but what keeps me motivated is the fact that a smaller, newer house and a smaller property will feel like a step up.