• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New travelblog... 4 months in Michelin kitchens

I'm leaving for Europe on the 17th. I'm going to be a guest in some amazing Michelin starred kitchens and learning from some incredible chefs. Germany, France, and Spain are on the list as of right now. el Bulli and Michel Bras are HIGH possibilities, as they are personal friends of the chef that is hosting me. So keep your fingers crossed for me.

Anyway, I thought it would be nice to keep a blog of my trip, kitchens, chefs, travel, and food during my time in Europe. Drop by from time to time and leave a comment or two or fifteen!! :)

I've also set it up so that I can blog from my Blackberry! So there may be a post or 2 from the range, or walk-in, or garden! w00t!!

http://www.gluttony.typepad.com

Cheers!

-Chef Johnny

Edited by ChefJohnny (log)

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

Congratulations ! What a wonderful opportunity. I hope you blog lots of detail and pictures :)

What is your itinerary and when do you start?

Kathy

I am starting off in Dublin, but purely as a "tourist." I've been wanting to visit Ireland and I thought this would be a good place to do it. I'll be in Dublin and the surrounding areas for about a week. Around the 25th of April, I get back to Germany, which will be my home base. I will post a better background of the trip on the blog, along with links to some of the restaurants I will be in.

Im visiting my parents in Virginia for a week before I fly out. So after pal-ing around with my mom I will post a full blog entry this evening. Check Back! :)

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

• 1 month later...

This whole time has been quite the whirlwind. I just recently got an internet connection, hence my complete absence. I had no idea how difficult life is without internet!!

Anyway, I've been all over Germany, i.e. Frankfurt, Munich, Berlin, Essen, Hamburg, Stuggart. Monday I'm off to Dusseldorf for a workshop/symposium on Molecular Gastronomy.

The first week of June I will be in a very cool restaurant in Frankfurt called Amador. The chef is Juan Amador, formerly of el Bulli. It is the first "molecular" restaurant in Germany. If you read German, heres his website: Amador

The second week and change of June I will be outside of Bordeaux for VinExpo 2007 with a 1 star restaurant here in Wartenburg. That should be really cool!

The end of June I am trying to get a reservation at Bras. I emailed my request last night through Relais & Chateaux. We will see how that goes. I am also highly interested in another place just over the border in Belgium called Auberge de Herborist. He's very much in the "Bras style" which I follow intently. I also bought his book "Evolution" while at Kitchen Arts and Letters in NYC. VERY interesting.

Also on the itenerary is Andelucia(sp) Spain for a while. And while I am at Amador, Im going to see what my chances are for getting into el Bulli as well, on the way back up to Germany. Say a little prayer for me for that one!

So far, things have been really amazing and are only going to get better. Not only is this a great trip but it is also giving my resume a HUUUUUGE bump, which is always great. Now that I have my internet again, I will get back to my blog. The link is up in the original post!

-Chef Johnny

Edited by ChefJohnny (log)

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA