• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potatoes, butter and fish....

glennbech

I recently ate out at a seafood restaurant in Oslo, and had a great meal. The fish came from the grill, and was placed on top of a potato mash with lots and lots of butter (maybe oil as well), and smoked eel. The mix was mixed to a puree.

Is there a name for this? Potato mash with mashed smoked fish? :-) Other recipes?

Yum, yumm. You had me there until you got to the eel part -- not a fan of any smoked fish. That being said, I'd think lashings of butter over mashed potatoes would make just about anything tasty :)

Glenn

Brandad is a dish of potatoes mashed with re-freshed salt cod and lots of olive that is damn tasty also.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I'd call it dinner. A few short moments after that, I'd call it a pleasant memory.

In fact, upon further thought, I call it Something I'm Going to Make Real Soon Now.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Is there a name for this? Potato mash with mashed smoked fish? :-) Other recipes?

Not quite the same, but similar - the Greek disk Taramasalata/Taramosalata/Taramousalata. Although said to be relatively flexible, the time I had it was mashed potato-based with the roe blended in. Probably more of a salty ocean flavor than eel (assuming freshwater eel cooked somewhat like the Japanese do).

Whatever it is, it sounds good, and I'm tempted to try it with the unagi in my freezer.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large