• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Changes in foodstuffs

Growing up, many years ago in England, I remember celery as being white and sweet tasting instead of the bright green, slightly bitter, stuff sold now.

Pork was one of my favorite meats, not any more since they decided it needed de-fattening.

Strawberries had wonderful fruity flavor and were squishy unlike the hard, artificially colored, watery pellets of today.

Asparagus was such a rare delight we ate the fresh spears, in the few weeks they were available, on toast as a special treat.

Wha' happened? :sad:

Well, maybe green celery is an American thing because that is all I've ever had. Perhaps in other places it is blanched. I have heard of doing this.

I have to agree about the pork. The stuff available now is awful.

Lovely strawberries are still available from the little roadside stands in the California's Central Valley. Buy them and eat them quickly because they don't keep.

I won't buy strawberries in the grocery stores.