• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Recent tastes

Florida Jim

Two from Savennières:

Day one:

The 2005 Château d’Epiré, Savennières and the 2005 Château d’Epiré, Savennières Cuvée Spéciale were tasted side by side. Both show ripeness, salty minerality, bracing acidity and decent length. Both have scents and flavors in the lanolin, chamomile, hay, apple, beeswax end of the spectrum with very little of the honey, floral or quince/apricot/peach tones I often find (and prefer) in Savennières. The regular bottling is fairly open but by no means mature and makes for pretty good drinking now. The Spéciale is more closed, more intense and clearly more structured.

Day two:

Both of these are showing more fruit and minerality, and, less hay and lanolin today. Both were served colder than when served on day one which may account for a slightly more closed delivery for both. Neither has lost ground in any respect.

Both are imported by Kermit Lynch, the regular is about $15, the Spéciale about $19 and neither is quite the style of Savennières I prefer but both are well-made and very well priced.

Certainly, both could use a little time down.

Others:

2005 Tiefenbruner, Chardonnay:

Smells sweet but isn’t; somewhat floral on the nose; clean, quite crisp and lively in the mouth with chardonnay and mineral flavors, nice balance and moderate length. Nothing deep or rich about this but it isn’t woody or buttery and has a lovely freshness and tang. 13% alcohol, imported by Winebow and about $10; I’ll buy more.

2004 Catena, Malbec:

Oaky nose, confected fruit and a sweet n’ sour finish. The barrel does not allow what seems to be respectable fruit get through. For those who like oaky, sugary, soupy, very California-style red wines, ‘sure to be a hit. 13.8% alcohol, imported by Billington Imports and about $17; I wouldn’t accept it as a gift let alone buy it again.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com