• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

making wontons

little ms foodie

I"m making a duck consomme with duck wontons for a dinner party. consume is finished. once I make the filling and stuff my wontons how long can I hold them before I need to boil them? and should I keep them covered with a damp towel. My guess is 2 hours / on a 1/4 sheet pan/ in the fridge with a damp towel. How close am I?

edited for bad spelling!

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Do you mean consommé? If you're going to hold them for any length of time, make sure to flour them well otherwise they'll stick. I would probably leave them out. The fridge is going to dry the skins out quicker. Alternatively, you can prep them a few days ahead and freeze them on sheet pans. They work just fine from frozen and you can make a double or triple batch and you got a great weeknight meal in just a few minutes.

PS: I am a guy.

thanks Shal, yes I meant consomme!!!

there definatley will be extra for me to freeze but for the 6 tonight I was hoping to make them this afternoon and hold them before they going into boiling water and then the consomme as an amuse.

How did it go? If it was only 6 people as an amuse, I would make them just before you cook them. It shouldn't take more than a minute or two to roll out 6- 12 wontons.

haha!!! I'm sure your not implying that I would have made my own wrappers?? :raz: that is what stores are for!

I actually made them in the afternoon and put them well floured in a dish covered with a damp papertowel (but not touching) for the day. they were awesome!! I have more in the freezer for a later date and we also pan fried a few cause you have to taste before you serve right?? :wink:

thanks for your imput Shal I really do appreciate it!

How did it go? If it was only 6 people as an amuse, I would make them just before you cook them. It shouldn't take more than a minute or two to roll out 6- 12 wontons.

haha!!! I'm sure your not implying that I would have made my own wrappers?? :raz: that is what stores are for!

You've never rolled out your own wrappers? We'll have to organise a dumpling party sometime. Nothing compares to home made wrappers.

PS: I am a guy.