• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big birthday dinner

SaxChik

I'm turning 40 next month. My husband and sister are planning a day of fun in Philly, which includes museums and the zoo. The most important part, at least for me, is going to be DINNER! It's on a Tuesday night. I want to go someplace spectacular, where I don't have to get dressed up, and where my tastebuds can enjoy the day as much the rest of me.

I know some of you and trust most of you, so give me some good recommendations of where to eat! Seems like nearly every time I'm in Philly I end up in Chinatown, so I want to try a new neighborhood. Doesn't have to be in the art museum area, it can be anywhere in or near the city.

Thanks in advance!

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

in the Art Museum area, Rembrandt's, Illuminare and London Grill are logical and great choices, but I would suggest Brigid's, at 24th and Meredith Sts. Intimate, friendly, quirky, but with very good food and very good beer and wine.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

My favorite spectacular places (none require dressing up; all will make your tastebuds do a happy dance):

Ansill (3rd and Bainbridge / small plates)

Osteria (640 N. Broad / "rustic" Italian)

Matyson (19th and Chestnut / American BYO)

Pif (8th just north of Washington / French bistro-ish BYO)

Melograno (22nd and Spruce / Italian BYO)

This list is a little repetitive because lots of people recommend these places all the time, but they are tasty and make me happy. And I'm pretty sure they're all open Tuesday night...

Also, Jose Garces' Basque place, Tinto (20th and Sansom) opens March 15, so if reports on it are good, you might want to try that...

Happy early birthday! My birthday this year is 07/07/07, so I'm thinking of big birthday dinners too.

Musta be cool to have two numerically significant birthdays ... 7/7/77 and 07/07/07. :)

Thanks for the suggestions!

I miss Studio Kitchen. :( I'm not sure if it's appropriate to say i want an orgasmic tastebud experience, but that's what i'm looking for.

Charles Pierce

Musta be cool to have two numerically significant birthdays ... 7/7/77 and 07/07/07. :)

Thanks for the suggestions!

I miss Studio Kitchen. :(  I'm not sure if it's appropriate to say i want an orgasmic tastebud experience, but that's what i'm looking for.

That reminds me... I went to Restaurant M a few months ago and the food was outstanding -- and more importantly for your purposes, it seemed Studiokitchen-influenced. The plates are larger than those at SK, of course, but the chef will do a 5-course tasting menu for the table if you desire.

I'm sure Katie can give you more details -- she's tending bar there now. Oh!--and in a month, it might be warm enough to eat in their garden.

I was just a twinkle in somebody's eye in 1977 and I probably won't be alive in 2077, soo... 7/7/07 is the day to get crazy!

Edited by Diann (log)

I JUST went to Brigid's a couple of days ago, and had a very nice dinner, I always enjoy it there. But I'm not sure I'd put it in the spectacular category, more the good, solid, comforting everyday category. Desserts were only OK.

Basically Diann beat me to all the recs I was going to make. I'd go to any of those places she mentioned, and might lean toward M. It's a very nice spot, so it will feel special, but it's not so fancy that you'll need to dress-up.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I JUST went to Brigid's a couple of days ago, and had a very nice dinner, I always enjoy it there.  But I'm not sure I'd put it in the spectacular category, more the good, solid, comforting everyday category.  Desserts were only OK.

Basically Diann beat me to all the recs I was going to make.  I'd go to any of those places she mentioned, and might lean toward M.  It's a very nice spot, so it will feel special, but it's not so fancy that you'll need to dress-up.

I had a friend that lived in the art museum district, so we used to haunt brigid's on a fairly regular basis. Still one of my favorite drinking holes.

M looks like a winner!

Thanks folks!

p.s. Diann, you youngin, you. :)

Charles Pierce

Thanks for all the props, y'all. SaxChik, I'd be delighted to shake up the Libation of Your Choosing for your birthday. And the food is marvelous, even if I do say so on their behalf. You can have a tasting menu on a weeknight, and that might be the way to go for the best overview of the menu. At $55/person it's a bargain for the caliber of food. There are paired wines available as well for an additional charge.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about anything.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol