• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's a Good Glass-a-Day Wine?

MJP

I've heard so much about studies that talk about how a glass of red wine a day is good for you. I'd like to start learning more about wine this way, so I'd like to know what's a good way to approach the glass a day habit. I'd like a wine that doesn't require food, something to drink while I'm just relaxing. If it's inexpensive, that's a major plus. I don't mind something that's very dry or very sweet, just so long as it doesn't require food.

Any advice is much appreciated; apologies if I didn't discover this in a thread search already. :-(

Edit: I'm not a wine guy, isn't it obvious: :laugh: I know some of the differences between the reds, but usually my strength is in whites. So do understand that I'm a total noob; I know which grape is a red, which is a white, and in general which white is drier by grape type. It's not much, but it gets me through the wine shop or the menu OK.

Edited by MJP (log)

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

While we're on the subject, is it truly too much to ask to be able to purchase such a wine in a box? I keep hearing rumors that box wines are improving.

Since my husband doesn't drink wine, and I drink no more than one glass in an evening, I often hesitate to open a full bottle unless I know I'm going to be home the next couple of days to enjoy the rest of it.

I'm aware that there are various things that can be done to preserve wine from day to day, and I'd also be interested in hearing about a simple, inexpensive system for doing that.

Edited by jgm (log)

While we're on the subject, is it truly too much to ask to be able to purchase such a wine in a box?  I keep hearing rumors that box wines are improving.

Since my husband doesn't drink wine, and I drink no more than one glass in an evening, I often hesitate to open a full bottle unless I know I'm going to be home the next couple of days to enjoy the rest of it.

I'm aware that there are various things that can be done to preserve wine from day to day, and I'd also be interested in hearing about a simple, inexpensive system for doing that.

My dad's sworn by a thing called Vintage Keeper for years. It's basically a sort of pressurizing nozzle that you cover the bottle with and then hook it up to a little, cheap nitrogen canister. The nitrogen pressurizes the wine out the spout when you push a little lever. It's kept bottles fresh either in the fridge or a cool, dark place for around a week or so. I couldn't find it on the company's website, so hopefully this link will help you: http://www.beveragefactory.com/wine/preservation/index.shtml

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

an inexpensive way to keep wine:

1) buy wine that has not been exposed to heat and is well made.

2) recork and keep in 'fridge.

3) when you have 1/2 bottle remaining pour off into an empty, clean 1/2 bottle (375m ml) and recork.

many wines will hold up for 3 days this way.some longer.

The best way to keep uncorked wine from oxidizing is by using a Vacu-Vin.

A box wine never has that problem, either. And some of 'em aren't bad. If I were only going to drink one glass of red wine a day, however, I'd want it to at least be a good one. :biggrin:

I'd probably go with a nice Rhone style red and Vacu-Vin it, which I think will definitely keep it good for 3-4 days.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

The best way to keep uncorked wine from oxidizing is by using a Vacu-Vin.

A box wine never has that problem, either.  And some of 'em aren't bad.  If I were only going to drink one glass of red wine a day, however, I'd want it to at least be a good one.  :biggrin:

I'd probably go with a nice Rhone style red and Vacu-Vin it, which I think will definitely keep it good for 3-4 days.

Is that for ANY boxed wine, or just the larger ones that have the dispenser spigots built in?

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Is that for ANY boxed wine, or just the larger ones that have the dispenser spigots built in?

Well, I guess I don't know too much about boxed wine -- I thought they all had those dispenser spigots built in! Yeah, I'm talking about the "bag in a box" type with the spigots. To the best of my knowledge, they never oxidize, as the bag inside is basically a vacuum. I think the "Black Box" brand is pretty good, though obviously not GREAT. You might have to ask your wine store, but I think there are some good wines being sold in boxes these days, they could probably order some for you.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Should those boxed wines be refrigerated once opened or are they ok in a cool place like a basement? Anyone care to recommend a particular brand/variety for a one-glass-a-day person?

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

I'd second the Black Box. It's eminently drinkable table wine at a very reasonable price. Up here in the Great White North it sells for about $40CDN, and each box is the equivalent of four bottles. The wine inside would be comparable to those selling at $15-$17 locally, so it's pretty good value. The contents are good for about a month after opening, which is pretty close to a glass a day.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I'm glad you started this topic, as I have also been applying myself to the task of drinking a glass a day. I haven't been very successful, but I've been working at it for a couple of months and have acquired some experience.

First, I long ago (on a previous failed attempt) gave up on trying to resist the tyranny of the 750ml bottle. You simply have to buy your wine in that format in order to have the best choices. Yes, there are half-bottles and even quarter-bottles and there are boxes but your choices will be laughably limited if you go that route. Also, if the idea is to learn more about wine by exposing yourself to variety then the box is just not a good idea.

Second, I've found that preservation is just not as big an issue as a lot of people say. Stick the cork back in the bottle and refrigerate. It's fine for several days. The wine does evolve slightly each day, but so what? Sometimes it even gets better on the second day. Depends on the wine. My glass a day is a quarter-bottle (just a fraction over 6 ounces). On the fourth day I sometimes perceive unequivocal deterioration (as opposed to changes that could be characterized as evolution), but it's never very much and it's sort of interesting to taste the wine through its post-opening life cycle. If you go out to dinner on some of the nights and the wine really starts getting long in the tooth, just freeze what's left in a zipper bag and use it in cooking when needed.

Third, give yourself a monthly budget and then diversify within that budget. In other words, buy some cheap bottles and some not-so-cheap ones. Depending on your budget, and assuming in a month you go through six bottles, you might get four at the low end of the price range and two higher priced bottles.

Fourth, take notes.

In terms of looking for specific wines to buy, that's sort of a fool's errand. The distribution system for wine is so screwed up that you can rarely find a specific wine without great effort unless it's some mega-mass-produced junk you don't want to deal with anyway. Just go to a decent wine shop and get stuff that seems interesting, and if you can get help from a competent salesperson that's even better. See if you can get a 10% discount on a mixed case -- some places will do that.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The original wine from the "French Paradox" experiments that started the "Red Wine is Good for You" train of thought is Madiran, made from the Tannat grape in the region south of Armagnac. Interestingly, it seemed the foie gras eating/Gauloise smoking locals never seemed to keel over from what should have been predictable coronary artery disease. Further research indicated that reservatrol, found in the skins of the grapes, and hence moreso in red wines, was the compound responsible for this miraculous set of circumstances. :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Sounds like some good advice, everyone. There's a Wine Country down the street that does give discounts on mixed cases. I'll be moving soon so I'll just start out with a bottle a week and then move up when I get settled.

Last question: is a specific type of red wine best for getting the health benefits? Conversely, are there any types which are the least beneficial?

last I heard, the research was indicating that the health benefit wasn't limited to red wine. In fact, it indcated that ANY drink was beneficial. In moderation, of course. I think for women, it was one a day. For men, I think it's two a day.

No, you can't "bank" the un-consumed drinks. :)

(I just wish I could find a link to a report)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

last I heard, the research was indicating that the health benefit wasn't limited to red wine.  In fact, it indcated that ANY drink was beneficial.  In moderation, of course.  I think for women, it was one a day.  For men, I think it's two a day.

No, you can't "bank" the un-consumed drinks.  :)

(I just wish I could find a link to a report)

Much of a wine lover as I am (is this a legitimate sentence??!)

.......I would take the studies with the proverbial grain of salt.

Human beings are just too complex to come to these pat conclusions.

(maybe it was the Gauloises or better yet the goose fat!)

That said...

A glass certainly can't hurt you (at least there is no study to show this yet).

And wine opens the door to food, new friends and fun........

I believe it is actually proven better for mental health!

So

I would not scoff at half bottles--most of the really good stuff can be had in this

format. It can be a bit tricky finding a good selection but they are out there.

Also screw top wines--more and more fine wine is being bottled with these handy

closures.

There are some excellent wines available--even the French are giving in!

Edited by JohnL (log)