• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rare Bar & Grill

SobaAddict70

My love for burgers is not only ardent and epic but also unbigoted and magnanimous.
Rare Bar & Grill is a shrine to burgers of all kinds, arguably to a point of burger apostasy.

It serves not only a Kobe-style beef burger ($21) and a bison burger ($14) but also a chicken burger ($14) and a tuna burger ($16). It does a burger flambéed in whiskey and covered with caramelized shallots, Cheddar and bacon ($15).

Rare Bar & Grill (Frank Bruni)

Click here for related commentary regarding Mr. Bruni's style of reviewing and the New York Times star system.

Soba

This place has offically started my worst of the year list. Arrived at 4:30 as the manager has the front of the house in a metting on problems and complaints that customers have been mentioning. So as we're sitting there listening to this it's a good 10 minutes before anyone asks us if we'd like anything. I'm getting bad vibes already. Order a couple of beers for me and my SO and place our order. Kobe burger for me and SO orders a regular burger and onion rings on the side from the manager who headed the previous meeting. Hers was good, I could tell because she offers me none. On the otherhand the Kobe arrives and the bechemel that comes with it I mistake as cold potatoes at first. No onion rings yet so we remind them. Remembering quickly the base of bechemel I offer my plate back but them say it'll be a moment and to keep the burger. I eat slowly but 15 minutes leter I'm done and here comes the bechemel brought by the waiter who served the burgers and he has a jacket on to go outside. Strange. We're offered a drink but politely refuse. Maybe when it's busy things click more but this is a place we'll avoid in the future.