• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemon Meringue Pie

BettyK

I checked a few cookbooks and most say to spread the meringue on the hot filling. Well, I did just that this week and my meringue still wept. I know there might be other factors which could have caused that like a draft, etc. I was wondering if anyone here had any success with Carolyn Weil's recipe from Baker's Dozen Cookbook? CW says to refrigerate the filling for at least 3 hours.

Anyway, what's your foolproof method to avoid weeping lemon meringue pie?

I haven't used that recipe but I always cool my pie to room temperature before adding the meringue topping and have never had a problem with weeping. It's possible that there are other factors involved as you mention.

I'm sure you will get more expert answers from the talented and friendly people here in the P&B forum! :biggrin:

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

I don't like meringue. I make a large batch of lemon curd which I use for filling, spoon and spread it into a cool crust, then whip some cream and mix lemon curd into the whipping cream and pipe that onto the pure lemon curd.

Never had anyone who didn't like it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The folks at Cooking Illustrated set out to find that the puddling underneath the meringue was due to undercooking and the beading of the top of the pie was from overcooking. When they applied the meringue when the filling was piping hot, the underside of the meringue did not undercook. A relatively low oven temperature did not overcook the top of the meringue and also produced the best-looking, most evenly baked meringue. They added a tiny amount of cornstarch to stabilize the meringue to stop it from weeping even on hot, humid days. I substituted an equal amount of confectioner’s sugar for the granulated sugar that the recipe asked for to inject that tiny quantity of cornstarch and it did the trick.

Gato ming gato miao busca la vida para comer

I would like to add this tip form the Farm Journal Pie Cookbook: make sure the sugar is totally dissolved in the egg whites. The confectioner's sugar should help with this.

I also have these 2 questions: Do you refrigerate the leftover pie? How far ahead is it feasible to make a meringue-topped pie?

I haven't used that recipe but I always cool my pie to room temperature before adding the meringue topping and have never had a problem with weeping. It's possible that there are other factors involved as you mention.

I'm sure you will get more expert answers from the talented and friendly people here in the P&B forum! :biggrin:

im with you on this one..ive never used that recipe before either...but then again i have never ever put the meringue on hot filling..i always let mine cool down as well and then spread it on..ive never had any problems with my meringue unless i have failed to spread it ALL the way over the filling and the crust..in which case..its always pulled apart from the crust as it baked..but ive never had any problems with weeping regardless

a recipe is merely a suggestion

I go the route of using an Italian meringue -- no need for it to go back in the oven, just brown with a blowtorch. I put it on a cooled tart (don't usually do a full pie). One of my favorite desserts!

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

Good to know that I can pour the meringue on cold filling. This helps a lot as I can make the lemon curd one day and the meringue the next day. I think I need a blowtorch.

Achevres, I bet that's where I went wrong. I whipped the egg whites too fast and since I used granulated sugar it probably didn't dissolve completely. Live and learn. :wink:

Most cookbooks I've checked said to serve the pie the same day. But one said you can refrigerate for up to 3 days. I refrigerated mine for 2 days in a cake box and it was fine.

I will try to bake another pie soon and will report if I've solved the "weeping" problem.

I bet our dear friends won't mind some more LMP. :laugh:

andiesenji:

would you be willing to share your recipe for lemon curd? Strange question, I'm sure, but I've never made it (always meant to) and I've seen some great recipes posted by you in the past.

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

Bryan Ochalla, a.k.a. "Techno Foodie"

http://technofoodie.blogspot.com/

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."

Orson Welles (1915 - 1985)

I also need some help with lemon curd. I made a couple of batches last night according to this recipe:

Remove zest of two large lemons with vegetable peeler. Place in food processor and add 1 cup sugar; process until peel is integrated into sugar. Add 5 egg yolks and process; add 1/2 cup lemon juice and 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter, and process. Pour into saucepan, cook over low heat until thickened; let it just come to a boil and remove from heat.

The problem with this recipe last night was that the bits of lemon peel were bitter and just seemed to be in the way. Mouth feel was lousy. I strained them out and it was much better. Would appreciate comments or alternate recipes.

I've used this same recipe many times, but this is the only time I've found to be the little bits of peel to be a problem. Maybe I'm just pickier now, but I don't think that's it. I used an Oxo vegetable peeler to remove the lemon peel, and made sure none of the white pith was included. I don't remember how I've removed the peel in the past, and maybe that's where the difference is coming from. Next time, maybe I'll try a microplane grater.

Definitely go for the microplane. It makes for some great zest. And I always strain my curd (or any stirred custard) for stray bits of cooked egg or zest.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

After looking at some of the recipes for lemon curd on Epicurious, I have come to the conclusion that my recipe has a LOT of zest in it. Most other recipes are around 2 teaspoons, or a little more if the recipe makes more. What I strained out each time, was around 1/4 cup. It looks like that's part of the problem.

I don't remember how I've removed the peel in the past, and maybe that's where the difference is coming from.  Next time, maybe I'll try a microplane grater.

jgm, I can't recommend a microplane zester strongly enough. There are very few kitchen tools that cost so little but save so much work.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

After looking at some of the recipes for lemon curd on Epicurious, I have come to the conclusion that my recipe has a LOT of zest in it.  Most other recipes are around 2 teaspoons, or a little more if the recipe makes more.  What I strained out each time, was around 1/4 cup.  It looks like that's part of the problem.

1/4 cup of zest seems like a lot from 2 lemons. You didnt peel off some of the pith too, did you?

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

• 2 years later...

I made Ina Garten's Lemon Meringue Tart (from Barefoot in Paris) on Saturday afternoon. It turned out really well, though I ended up with about 1/3 more filling than I needed (have been eating it as a yogurt topping since then). I don't have a pastry bag, so I just used a Ziploc bag with the corner cut off to do the piping...I think it's time to invest in a bag and some tips!

gallery_26775_1623_103299.jpg

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007