• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking classes in Montreal

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can suggest some good cooking classes in a variety of cuisines. I'm not looking for a career in cooking but more of a knowledge of prep of different types of food. Is there a directory somewhere?

Thanks,

Max

I read the Culinary School in Montreal thread last week, and I, too, wondered whether anyone would know of any cooking classes for those who weren't aspiring professional chefs.

Although the Gazette article was helpful, I'm looking for first hand accounts. Second hand would be appreciated as well.

Let's hope that this first posting on egullet is a fruitful one (Great job by the veteran contributors, by the way.)

Thanks!

I've taken the evening/weekend courses (for the general public) at the ITHQ for Pastry, Chocolate, and and Bread (Boulangerie/Viennoiseries). The Pastry and Chocolate courses taught by Mr. Clément were good, with generally useful and correct information and good practicals and results. The Boulangerie course was less than worthless, with terrible bread, and a lot of factually incorrect material, so skip that one.

• 2 months later...

I know the st.pius x culinary institute has a chef named gerry cristiano who teaches gourmet cooking and a beginners class. The course is not endorsed by the school but provides the facilities for the program. Call 381 1022 and ask for chef gerry for more details and next sessions.

The cooking classes at Loblaws are fantastic. I'm not sure which Loblaws' here have them but they are a wonderful way to learn new skills in a casual environment. They are also only about 20$ each.

• 4 months later...

Ilyas Mirza, the owner of Masala catering and restaurant in Old Montreal offers excellent classes in traditional Indian homestyle cooking at a very low cost. He can be reached at 514.287.7455. Tell him Aaron sent you.