• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pink salt and pork for charcuterie

Hey everybody!

I just bought Michael Ruhlman's Charcuterie and, obviously, I'm chomping at the bit to try on his recipes.

Does anyone know where one can find "pink salt" (salt with nitrites) and all cuts of non-commercial pork (belly, blood, hocks, etc.), in the Montreal area?

On a side note, has anyone ever seen a Cuisinart Stand Mixer in any shop in Montreal? I can only find KitchenAid.

Thanks!

I was never able to find a local source for pink salt (however I live in Gatineau not Montreal). I purchased some online from Butcher and Packer (www.butcher-packer.com). It is not expensive, about $2.00 for a pound, which is enough to last you for quite a while.

Charcuterie is really an excellent book. I got a small smoker (recommended in his book), canadian made, at Canadian Tire, on sale at an affordable price last year. Made the best ham I ever ate!

Hey everybody!

I just bought Michael Ruhlman's Charcuterie and, obviously, I'm chomping at the bit to try on his recipes.

Does anyone know where one can find "pink salt" (salt with nitrites) and all cuts of non-commercial pork (belly, blood, hocks, etc.), in the Montreal area?

On a side note, has anyone ever seen a Cuisinart Stand Mixer in any shop in Montreal? I can only find KitchenAid.

Thanks!

I believe you will find pink salt at les Douceurs du Marche, Atwater Market, first floor, north end. You can check with them at 514-939-3902.

Edited by gruyere (log)

Forget the pink salt! No need, just use regular sea salt and make sure the meat hangs in a good place. Some ventilation is important, but you don't want a direct breeze like a fan. And I think generally you don't want things like sausages to be touching each other or else that's where the mold starts.

Forget the pink salt!  No need, just use regular sea salt and make sure the meat hangs in a good place.  Some ventilation is important, but you don't want a direct breeze like a fan.  And I think generally you don't want things like sausages to be touching each other or else that's where the mold starts.

I guess that depends on what you're making! It certainly isn't needed for its preservative effect in this day and age, but it does contribute its own distinctive flavour.

Doesn't one of the pork/charcuterie suppliers mentioned in the Au Pied de Cochon cookbook have a stall at the Jean-Talon Market? (I'm thinking they're right next to the fishmonger in the new building.) They might be able to help you out. Alternatively, you could do what I did and order it from Stuffers.com. They have the benefit of being in Canada, so you don't have to deal with the border crossing.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

• 3 weeks later...

I found what I think is pink salt (although it's not pink) at the "Charcuterie Hongroise" on St-Laurent. I had to ask for it and they got it for me in the backstore. 5$ per pound.

For the pork, I just got a belly from Kim Phat in Brossard ( I was passing through there).

And I got the Cuisinart at Sur la Table in NY... not available here yet...

As soon as I get a bit more comfortable with charcuterie-ing, I'll get some decent pork (probably by following Chris' recommendation).

Francois,

Could you elaborate on that smoker, please?  Is i still available? What are the specs?

Does it work?

/gth

It is called a Bradley Smoker. Made in BC I believe. Not expensive. Sold at Canadian Tire. Very easy to use. At first I was worried it would smoke up the neibourhood but it is really not the case. It is rather small but certainly big enough for domestic use. It uses 'pucks' of compressed wood, also being sold at Canadian Tire.

I also use it for cold smoking (eg smoked salmon) but it is a bit more tricky, although not difficult. To keep it cold enough, I buy a couple of aluminum pans (the cheap one you throw away after using, it is sold in any grocery store). I fill it with water and freeze it. I then put it in the smoker on the racks under the salmon.

Alex, in Canada, it is not required to color the salt pink as in the US. Stuffers.com sells it under the name of Prague powder #1. I believe they are a company from western Canada.

If you want to maintain that pink color to your cured meat, you need the Nitrates. If you are comfortable with it, and remember your basic chemistry, you can create your own cure with Potassium Nitrate from a Pharmacy, salt, etc. I have used this as a cure for pork shoulder along with sugar, and a mixture of spices, cured the shoulder in a cold room for a few weeks. washed it, smoked it, let it rest in the cold room, and voila...

You do invest a lot of time, but it is worth it.

BTW if you go to china town, or any good Asian grocery or kitchenware supplier, you will find that the Duck hooks work quite well for hanging curing meat.

Also if you are looking for natural casings, make sure that what you are getting is truly fresh. Typically a butcher that produces their own sausages for in house sale will have stock. I have found that Tranzo on the SW corner of Monkland (or is it Sommerled, I mix up the 2) and Cavendish always has excellent 1-1/4 diameter natural casings. Tony at Westmount Butcher has fresh Merguez sized casings... and some very good veal.

Forget the pink salt!  No need, just use regular sea salt and make sure the meat hangs in a good place.  Some ventilation is important, but you don't want a direct breeze like a fan.  And I think generally you don't want things like sausages to be touching each other or else that's where the mold starts.

I guess that depends on what you're making! It certainly isn't needed for its preservative effect in this day and age, but it does contribute its own distinctive flavour.

Doesn't one of the pork/charcuterie suppliers mentioned in the Au Pied de Cochon cookbook have a stall at the Jean-Talon Market? (I'm thinking they're right next to the fishmonger in the new building.) They might be able to help you out. Alternatively, you could do what I did and order it from Stuffers.com. They have the benefit of being in Canada, so you don't have to deal with the border crossing.

Veni. Vidi. Voro.

Yes, nitrites do create a pink colour in the meat, and they do contribute a flavour, and they do help preserve the meat. But they are not necessary. You can get incredible colour and flavour by using just sea salt. Italian prosciuttos are made with sea salt only and are nothing if not rosy and delicious. I've done lots of cured sausages and a prosciutto with nothing but salt and a good basement--they were amazing, tasty as hell.

If you want to maintain that pink color to your cured meat, you need the Nitrates. If you are comfortable with it, and  remember your basic chemistry, you can create your  own cure with Potassium Nitrate from a Pharmacy, salt, etc. I have used this  as a  cure for pork shoulder along with sugar, and a mixture of spices, cured the shoulder in a cold room for a few weeks. washed it, smoked it, let it rest in the cold room, and voila...

You do invest a lot of time, but it is worth it.

BTW  if you go to china town, or any good Asian grocery or kitchenware  supplier, you will find that the  Duck hooks work quite well for hanging curing meat.

Also if you are  looking for natural casings, make  sure  that what you are  getting is  truly fresh. Typically a  butcher that produces  their own sausages  for in house  sale will have stock. I have found that Tranzo on the  SW corner of Monkland (or is it Sommerled, I mix up the 2) and Cavendish always  has excellent 1-1/4 diameter natural casings. Tony at Westmount Butcher has fresh Merguez sized casings... and some very good veal.