• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to get cheap to-go sushi in NYC at 7am

Fat Guy

I know it's kind of an odd request, but I want to bring sushi as a show-and-tell/snack-type item for my son's kindergarten class. Ideally I'd like to get like 10 inside-out avocado rolls, since this will be ultra-beginner sushi. The thing is I'll need it in school at 8:25am for presentation around 9am so I'll need to be able to get it earlier than that.

My backup plan is to go very late the night before to a Chinese restaurant that does sushi and refrigerate. But if there's anyplace open in the morning I'd rather have it made that morning.

Quality does not have to be terribly high, but supermarket-type prepack sushi won't work because I need to be able to customize the order (e.g., no sesame seeds).

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I never thought of that. I'll have to investigate the sushi-counter schedule.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The Whole Foods on 97th Street -- super-close to our son's school -- says they start making sushi at 7:30am. Good call, Sam.

24-hour Korean is also an inspired idea.

I really should just learn once and for all to make this stuff myself.