• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Duvel

Duvel

42 minutes ago, BooBear said:

Instead of popeyes, I've been looking at the cook's country Puritan Backroom–Style Sweet-and-Sour Sauce. I found the ingredients list here https://www.americastestkitchen.com/articles/2404-9-famous-restaurant-dishes-you-can-make-at-home . I'm just wondering if I found the complete list? And I don't have access to the duck sauce.

It is a bit difficult for me to accommodate your style of meandering around topics.

Now, is this the dish you want to recreate ? Ask for this, specifically. Then make an effort. No excuses as in „I am concerned about the shelf life“ (send it back) or questioning „is this the complete list“ (it‘s a copycat - tweak it if it doesn’t deliver).  

I read frequently you aren’t able to source stuff - I can relate, being in Germany and participating in a US/CAN/AUS dominated forum. But if you make an effort you‘ll find solutions. Maybe start asking concrete questions: I am in Iceland and have only access to fermented shark and ice bear urine - how do I make Peking Duck with these ? Chances are high someone will come up with an idea.

If you ask generic questions like - well, this one - chances are high you don’t get a satisfying answer. Because noone knows what you are after. And even more so, you are potentially exhausting the patience of a very helpful crowd*.

Sorry to be blunt - just trying to get you to get what you are actually looking for …

—-

* this is of course a personal statement. Many - if not all - members have far more patience than me. Thus I am the one indicating what might lie ahead in the answers of „What is the best …“

Duvel

Duvel

4 minutes ago, BooBear said:

Instead of popeyes, I've been looking at the cook's country Puritan Backroom–Style Sweet-and-Sour Sauce. I found the ingredients list here https://www.americastestkitchen.com/articles/2404-9-famous-restaurant-dishes-you-can-make-at-home . I'm just wondering if I found the complete list? And I don't have access to the duck sauce.

It is a bit difficult for me to accommodate your style of meandering around topics.

Now, is this the dish you want to recreated ? Ask for this, specifically. Then make an effort. No excuses as in „I am concerned about the shelf life“ (send it back) or questioning „is this the complete list“ (it‘s a copycat - tweak it if it doesn’t deliver).  

I read frequently you aren’t able to source stuff - I can relate, being in Germany and participating in a US/CAN/AUS dominated forum. But if you make an effort you‘ll find solutions. Maybe start asking concrete questions: I am in Iceland and have only access to fermented shark and ice bear urine - how do I make Peking Duck with these ? Chances are high someone will come up with an idea.

If you ask generic questions like - well, this one - chances are high you don’t get a satisfying answer. Because noone knows what you are after. And even more so, you are potentially exhausting the patience of a very helpful crowd*.

Sorry to be blunt - just trying to get you to get what you are actually looking for …

—-

* this is of course a personal statement. Many - if not all - members have far more patience than me. Thus I am the one indicating what might lie ahead in the answers of „What is the best …“