• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Priorat, what to serve with it

Chufi

For a party, we're opening some Priorat this weekend (don't have the bottles here, but if I remember correctly, 1996). We're not having them with dinner but with some little dishes (hey, it's a Spanish wine, let's call them tapas :smile: ) instead.

I could use some suggestions for what to serve with this wine. I understand it's pretty bold-flavoured. Would spicy chorizo stand up to it, for instance?

Other ideas?

First of all, 1996 was a very good vintage for Priorato wines, and many will be drinking very well right now. You are right about the wine having a bold flavor. The age on your bottles will mellow that a bit.

The minimum level of alcohol for Priorato is 13.5%, and many wines have higher levels than that. I mention that because, typically, wines high in alcohol and spicy foods generally do not mix well, and you had asked about chorizo.

I'd recommend something with lamb -- more like a roasted leg than grilled chops. Or braised lamb that is pulled off the bone and used to make whatever you want to make from it. Game would also be a good choice. So would mushrooms.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Thanks Brad. Turns out we had one 96 and one 2002 Priorato - the 96 was the superior one, which was no surprise.

I made albondigas - lamb meatballs and little mushroom/leek/porcini tarts. We also had chorizo, but a very mild one, some young, mild Manchego cheese, chickenlivers in sherrysauce, and a truffled game pate. I felt the lamb meatballs were the best match.

Edited by Chufi (log)