• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

kitchen exhaust engine

godito

I have a technical question about choosing the right exhaust engine for a professional kitchen. Details follow (sorry, all measurements follow the metric system)

I'm expanding the kitchen in the restaurant I just bought. The revamped version will have the mail kitchen where a small dining room used to be. The space is small: 3.30m wide by 2.50m deep. Most of the front is a window 2 meters wide. Now, the "pass" is 1 meter wide, and it's open to the restaurant (half of the front window slides open).

My equipment will be 6 burners, an oven and a small electric fryer.

In total, the space where the fire power is, will be about 1.70m, and the hood's 2m wide.

Now, I have a brand new 5hp engine. I know nothing of hood engines. This seems like it would work, but I'm worried about two things:

1. Mainly, the smell of food creeping into my dining rooms through the open window.

2. The noice that the engine might make. I'm lucke enough to work with a group of cooks who have worked in open kitchens befor, so I know they wont be noisy.

Thanks!!

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

Someone here might have that expertise - its really complicated how much air you take out is also how much air needs to go back in to the building ( make - up air system) Check with your local fire marshal and health department. When I did my remodel they were able to give me specifics as to how many nozzels on my ansel extension.... how much air had to come out for the amount of equipment - they have a formula... wish I could be more helpful local authorities should have local buildong codes . I was able by asking these people to do restaurant plan review myself.....the info is out there ( also check with the guys selling you the equipment - get a few "bids" then you'll have info)

You should make your building contractor and your hood salesmen earn their keep and actually do the maths and provide you with hard numbers. If they balk, tell them that it's in their contracts (it might not be spelled out but a decent barrister could probably argue differently).

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!