• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with Black truffle. Need advice.

glennbech

I purchased a black truffle from a small but well stocked grocery store store on Friday. Half was used in a Black truffle risotto apetizer for two.

I started saturday with home made toasted walnut bread, a plain omelet and grated black truffle. That sure was a good way to start the weekend.

Now I have half a black truffle in my fridge in some risotto rice. Any suggestions on what to do with it? I guess I have to use it as soon as possible to get the most out of it. The truffle is from Provance. If I've understood it, hunting season is January black truffles. Of course I want to use it as fresh as possible :-)

I'm open to suggestions, the recipe should serve 2 people.

Ps.

The truffle cost me $90 and had a weight of 30 grams. For my personal economy that's a bit pricy. The store is probably to only one in Oslo/Norway that would have a fresh truffle, so there isn't much competition. How does this price compare to other countries, and how accessible are fresh truffles when they are in season?

One of the best and most simple ways to use your truffle would be to make a truffle omelette. This is a classic combination and sure to please.

Truffle season in this part of France starts in October & lasts until March. We go to the Friday truffle market in Limogne as its a small one. There is only one wholesale buyer, he weighs all of the truffles on offer that day then sets a price which is dependent upon the total weight for sale that day.

Normally, you can then buy directly from one of the sellers at the same price as offered by the wholesaler. Still very expensive, but much cheaper than buying at retail. Budget doesn't allow us to go very often.

The bigger markets at Caussade & Labenque are fun to go to & watch, but its hard to buy as an individual there. The competition from the retailer & the restaurants is too much.

Hopefully you can get some inspiration from a truffle dinner I had in France one year.

The last item you'll see is something that you probably wouldn't think to use truffles in, but it worked sublimely well. It was a pasta in a parmesan cream sauce, much like an Alfredo, with the addition of raw ham. I can tell you that it's a great combination with truffles. For that matter, I'll bet you could grate them over a carbonara as well. Or you could always place slices of them under the skin of a chicken before you roast it.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's