• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mario Batali's Starburst Candy Sauce on foie gras

LPShanet

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question in, but I've heard tell that Mario Batali has a recipe that he sometimes prepares for a Starburst candy reduction sauce (that I think he serves on foie gras). Does anyone know anything about this? Specifically, where I can get the recipe or whether he serves it in any of his restaurants?

Thanks!

There is a mention here:

First Course

Foie gras and monkfish

Whole roasted, and served with Molto’s world famous “Starburst & Red Bull sauce”

:huh:

Silver gravy boats held a sauce made by melting three bags of Starburst candy into two cans of Red Bull and seasoning with salt and pepper.

“It sounds kind of silly but it’s actually quite good,” Mr. Ladner said. The sauce, an early innovation of Mr. Batali’s, glowed red-orange with a transfixing intensity and hardened as it cooled — “like plastic,” Mr. Ladner observed cheerfully.

NYT article Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

There is a mention here:

First Course

Foie gras and monkfish

Whole roasted, and served with Molto’s world famous “Starburst & Red Bull sauce”

:huh:

Silver gravy boats held a sauce made by melting three bags of Starburst candy into two cans of Red Bull and seasoning with salt and pepper.

“It sounds kind of silly but it’s actually quite good,” Mr. Ladner said. The sauce, an early innovation of Mr. Batali’s, glowed red-orange with a transfixing intensity and hardened as it cooled — “like plastic,” Mr. Ladner observed cheerfully.

NYT article

Yes, saw that article, which is what prompted my post. So far, no one has a recipe or place that it can be ordered, though.

I am sorry but that can't be good.

Oh, I'm sure it's "good" in the sense of rich, bored diners who have "tried it all" and are tickled with the idea of it, believe they are supposed to find it both ironic and yet somehow brilliant and henceforth proclaim it to be good. But seriously.

I'm going to melt down some Junior Mints into a pot of Yoohoo and pour it over roasted lamb.

I'm going to melt down some Junior Mints into a pot of Yoohoo and pour it over roasted lamb.

In a sense, Wylie Dufresne beat you to the punch there: Rack of lamb with candy cane crust. I always wanted to try that one...

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question in, but I've heard tell that Mario Batali has a recipe that he sometimes prepares for a Starburst candy reduction sauce (that I think he serves on foie gras).  Does anyone know anything about this?  Specifically, where I can get the recipe or whether he serves it in any of his restaurants?

Thanks!

I think that was mentioned in Buford's "Heat" as well

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

I recall an episode on PBS of Bittman Takes on America's Chefs...

In fact the recipes are in the accompanying cook book.

In the program (and in the book) Jean Georges makes Broiled Squab with Jordan Almonds (a candy) and Bittman responds with broiled cornish Hens with Red Hots!

(melting the candies over the birds).

Candy can be a good addition to augment sauces when you are in a pinch or are looking for something different.

I have used tic-tacks and certs when needing to up the mintyness/wintergreen flavor of something (like a mint jelly).

I recently braised some short ribs in red-bull: I would likely not do that one again.