• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anniversary dinner

jscarbor

My wife and I will be "celebrating" our 6th year anni this weekend at home with our 2 kids (3 and 1). I'm thinking kind of french influenced since I have some really cool french music from the "Sparrow" Edith Piaf. Anyway, I had an appetizer in mind that was seafood but I think my wife would prefer seafood entree???So I think I am going to do a rosemary almond shortbread and top with seared beef slices and topped with a hollandaise or perhaps a red wine beurre blanc????

For the main course I am stumped? I could do a nice salmon dish? I don't know? My wifes not real adventerous but maybe some monkfish? In fact I would really like to do a monkfish in a sea urchin sauce but have no idea where to start on that? Any ideas?

Not to messy cooking eaither, don't really want to clean all night after I cook.

I like monkfish simply prepared. For easy clean up, what about monkfish papillote? Monkfish with some vegetables in a lemon/white wine type sauce maybe. You can definitely do that with other fish like salmon or sea bass.

My wife and I will be "celebrating" our 6th year anni this weekend at home with our 2 kids (3 and 1). I'm thinking kind of french influenced since I have some really cool french music from the "Sparrow" Edith Piaf. Anyway, I had an appetizer in mind that was seafood but I think my wife would prefer seafood entree???So I think I am going to do a rosemary almond shortbread and top with seared beef slices and topped with a hollandaise or perhaps a red wine beurre blanc????

For the main course I am stumped? I could do a nice salmon dish? I don't know? My wifes not real adventerous but maybe some monkfish? In fact I would really like to do a monkfish in a sea urchin sauce but have no idea where to start on that? Any ideas?

Not to messy cooking eaither, don't really want to clean all night after I cook.

Monkfish is a *great* idea. Meaty, white and open to other flavors. Not sure about the urchin. Sea urchin has a flavor and texture that might not be welcome (at all) to those with a conservative palate.

I would keep it simple- buttery and winey. Congrats!

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Went with the parmesean shortbread with sauteed shrimp in beure blanc sauce. It was good but needed something else to brighten it up a bit. Also ended up going with a very simple black sesame seared tuna with a ginger soy sauce concoction. It was very tasty and very easy.

Went with the parmesean shortbread with sauteed shrimp in beure blanc sauce. It was good but needed something else to brighten it up a bit. Also ended up going with a very simple black sesame seared tuna with a ginger soy sauce concoction. It was very tasty and very easy.

Congratulations and kudos for preparing a wonderful dinner for your wife.

The shortbread dishes you mentioned sound interesting: the parmesean shortbread with sauteed shrimp in beure blanc sauce and the idea you mentioned, rosemary almond shortbread and top with seared beef slices and a sauce.

Are the shortbreads really like a sweet shortbread cookie, except savory? I'm picturing the texture of a sweet shortbread cookie and it is pretty crunchy. Do you have a base "savory" shortbread reicipe that you modify?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Congratulations and kudos for preparing a wonderful dinner for your wife.

The shortbread dishes you mentioned sound interesting: the parmesean shortbread with sauteed shrimp in beure blanc sauce and the idea you mentioned, rosemary almond shortbread and top with seared beef slices and a sauce.

Are the shortbreads really like a sweet shortbread cookie, except savory? I'm picturing the texture of a sweet shortbread cookie and it is pretty crunchy. Do you have a base "savory" shortbread reicipe that you modify?

They are savory little shortbreads and they have a nice crunch. I may have left mine in a minute to long. Basically they are butter, parmesean, a little flour, some red pepper chopped very fine, toasted almonds and rosemary. The "dough" needs help coming together.

The beurre blanc needed a little kick to it, maybe lemon? One way I really would like to try these(besides with beef) is with some seared fois gras. I think the crunch of the shotbread and the silk of the fois gras would be great! I would add a sweetish type accompaniement to it.

Thanks for the further information on the shortbreads; sound like they could be used in a variety of applications.

The basic beurre blanc version that I've made has white wine and white wine vinegar in it to provide acidity but I think there are variations made with lemon juice as well. Maybe this substitution would help make a brighter sauce for your dish. For the shrimp combnation maybe one could look to completely different flavored sauce like a gribiche or a dijonnaise.

Thanks again.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"