• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin 2007

milla

anybody know the name of the new one star in and around dijon

first year

one star

thanks

If I'm reading the chart correctly it's the Clos du Roy in Chenove.

this is the first year of that restaurant

or the first year listed

thought he is around for a while

Well, it's listed in the 2005 guide as one fork and knife and a smiley faced Bibendum.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Well, it seems that Michelin has changed their formula for what a star means. In no way does Pic rate three stars when compared to some other France three-star places. And a reader from Tokyo, Montreal, or Sydney will be all the more confused by the Guide Rouge if he tries to compare what he reads within to that of other guides that seem, now, much more rational.

Edited by BigboyDan (log)

Also of interest in the Michelin Press release are the New smiley face Bibendums in Paris that include several places eGullet members have commented on favorably, including: Fish, Spring, Les Anges, Chez Cecile Ferme des Mathurins, Auberge Pyrenees Cevennes, Le Temps Au Temps + Thierry Burlot.

John Talbott

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody has commented on the most significant three-star award of all: that to L'Astrance as the first three-star shoestring restaurant. That in itself should be enought to tell you that the solidity and exactitude that used to be part and parcel of Michelin's highest rating has been totally demolished. It wasn't really all that long ago that truly great restaurants--those where pleasing the gastronome was the way of life, not dictating to him by tying his hands-made up the constellation of three stars: Chapel, Troisgros, Guerard, Robuchon pre 1996, Peyrot, Verget, Oustau de Baumaniere,etc. Michelin should be awarding fewer three stars as a way to make some of these chefs think twice instead of encouraging them to take shortcuts and put greed above gastronomy.

Well, it seems that Michelin has changed their formula for what a star means. In no way does Pic rate three stars when compared to some other France three-star places. And a reader from Tokyo, Montreal, or Sydney will be all the more confused by the Guide Rouge if he tries to compare what he reads within to that of other guides that seem, now, much more rational.

FWIW I've only eaten once at Pic - in 2005 - and on the evidence of that I'm pretty surprised at the three star rating

• 3 months later...

I’ve been meaning to comment on the new English Michelin Red Guides, so this represents the opportunity. A few month’s ago, I bought the one for Paris and it is expanded, more colorful (verbally and photographically) and worth the price of admission but today, as I was attending/assisting at Clotilde Dusoulier’s book signing/talk at Brentano’s of Chocolate and Zucchini, I snuck a look at the English language France Guide and it’s not at all different from the French version, except translated accurately into English, assuredly by one of our eG members, so I won’t say it was literal, wooden and unlively. PS I did not purchase it.

John Talbott