• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessert in Morristown and around

coughy

My son's birthday is this weekend. We are taking him and a bunch of friends to the Community Theater in Morristown for a comedy show and would like somewhere to go between Morristown and Livingston after the show for dessert.

There's an ice cream/candy shop on South Street as you head out to Rt. 287...all of about 3-4 blocks east of the theater, on the left (north) side of the street. Only problem is, the last time I went to the CT on a Saturday night (in summer, no less), the ice cream place closed at 10pm!

Just Googled; the first page that came up was actually off of the CT site:

South Street Creamery

146 South Street

973-267-8887

Just steps away from the theatre. Award-winning homemade ice cream, café and gourmet coffee shop. Private rooms available for parties. Cakes made to order for special occasions.

One of my big complaints about Morristown is that it can't be a draw when the town closes up (except for restaurants) at 9-10pm!!

You can definitely find diners open for dessert, but I don't know that many of them are great...

Too far to go to Holsten's in Bloomfield, huh? Bummer.

How old are these kids?

ETA:

Ricky's Candy Cone and Chaos

54 South St.

Morristown, NJ 07960

Ph: (973) 644-9400

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Ben & Jerry's also recently opened up a storefront on the other side of town (Near Cosi/Famished Frog- Take Washington Street off the Green, and you'll see it on your left at the first intersection). Last Saturday, they were open around 9:45 or so. Not a whole lot of space for a crowd, but they have some chairs/tables. Their hours aren't listed on their website, but give them call - 973-998-6181. If all else fails, the Morristown Diner is right behind the theater.

Edited by skinsey123 (log)

Now you see why I said what I did about Morristown...this is not a town that WANTS people to come and stick around for fun! Of course, you can find bars that are open that late, but it's not what coughy and crew are looking for.

Is there anything in Florham Park or E. Hanover that would work for you? The only place I can think of is the Ritz Diner (Livingston)--not too exciting. What's the ice cream place on S. Livingston Ave? Mark & Julie's? I'm not sure. ejebud, please pick up the white courtesy phone...ejebud... :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Re: South Street Creamery. It has a lot of fans, but I'm definitely not one of them. I went twice and on both occasions the ice cream was a disappointment. I'll take Maggie Moos (on rt 10) anyday.

Coughy, you'll need to call all these places, but I'm sure at least one on the following list will serve you a dessert until 11:00 (on a weekend night).

Famished frog/The Office - cheap, typical, mass produced Bennigans, Hoolihans over the top/big desserts.

Settebello - I forget the name of the company (they drive a little freezer truck), but I believe Settebello imports all of their desserts from Italy. They're all very good. I like the semi-freddo. I think all the desserts will be in the $5 range, but, unlike the Famished Frog/The Office, they won't be $5 and gargantuan. Good expresso as well.

Moghul - it depends on your taste/taste of the kids, but Moghul is open until 10:30 on Friday and 11:00 on Saturday/Sunday. I haven't been eating desserts for a while, but I have had their paneer on many occasions as a part of the Sunday buffet. It's the best paneer I've ever had and I've eaten at least 100 Indian restaurants in NJ and NY. Cheesemaking and dessertmaking are very closely tied (many desserts contain cheese), so if their cheese is that phenomenal, I'm sure their desserts are top notch as well. Are you in the mood for some gulab jamun? :)

Valentinos- it's been many many years since I've been there, but I distinctly remember being there late and having a very rich very decadent and extremely expensive chocolate cake. And some armagnac... all while being surrounded by some dim lighting :) Who's to say what they're like now, but if it's anything like it was, I'd place it as one of the posher possibilities for late night dessert in Mo'town.

Valentinos is within walking distance of the Community Theater while Settebello, Moghul and Famished Frog are right off the green. I would call Settebello first. They're very friendly and the desserts are good. They're also BYOB so you won't run into a loud drinking crowd like you might run into at places like the famished frog/the office.

Other than these... I think Hoolihans (rt. 10 Livingston) might be open until 12:00. Also, possibly Macaroni Grill on 10 (and maybe Chilis). All of these are going to be pretty standard mass produced fare. If you're looking for something really safe for 16 year olds, though, I think hoolihans will be your best bet. I'm sure the waitstaff would probably even sing your son some hokey birthday song.

Alright, maybe not Hoolihans :)

Origin Thai is another option and just a few blocks away. They have fried ice cream - never tried it but sounds like something a 16-year-old might like. There are several other options including a banana dessert with butternut squash and passion fruit sauce and rasberry sherbet.