• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Definition of Dessicated coconut

Ted Fairhead

Having made some creme brulees I had a number of fresh egg whites left over. Rather than just tossing them I searched various recipe sources for using them. I did NOt want to make meringues, the obvious choice.

In the BBC recipe list I found macaroons...extremely simple; sugar, egg whites, lime juice, and dessicated coconut. Using American "Shredded" coconut, the mixing was messy and quite wet, but I persisted and turned out some tasty but chewy and sticky specimens.

My question is this; Is "shredded" coconut the same as "dessicated" coconut? Having been born and raised in England, it sticks in my mind that dessicated coconut that my Mum used was dry and somewhat powdery

dessicated coconut is dried and 99% of the time no sugar is added. it is usually "powdery" because it is in such small pieces.

shredded coconut is more often than not, sweetened. it is also in larger pieces, usually about half an inch to an inch long and flat.

sometimes you'll see dessicated coconut referred to as "macaroon" coconut (when I order it, that's how it is listed in the order guide from my distributors. It comes in 25# bags). For retail, I've only seen it at whole foods type of groceries. Sometimes the local donut shop will borrow some when they run short! :biggrin: The sweetened, shredded coconut comes in 7 oz and 14 oz bags at the market.

I've gotten dessicated coconut in different sizes, from near-powder to big chips, but the main kind I get is in shreds similar to 'shredded coconut.' Whatever size it is, it's always stiffer and drier than shredded coconut, and unsweetened.

If you don't have an Indian store nearby, you should be able to get some at a health food store.

Edited by beccaboo (log)