• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

50's cocktail party

Taboni

definitely rumaki

I did a 50s cocktail party a few years ago and served rumaki, cocktail dogs cooked over sterno--something we adored as kids and thought was the heighth of sophistication-- vichysoisse and caesar salad--lots of fun.

had martinis, manhattans, whisky sours, (I had to disguise my wine in a highball glass as i am not a cocktail drinker.

and I collect vintage party aprons, so had aprons for everybody to wear.

bacon-wrapped water chestnuts

Wasn't that chicken liver and bacon wrapped water chestnuts, aka Rumaki?

Pretty good recipe to be found HERE.

Not if you hate, hate, hate chicken liver (or any other type of liver for that matter).

:biggrin:

Rumaki can be made with scallops in place of the liver if you please. :smile:

Going to do bacon wrapped scallops since I am not even a teeny tiny fan of chicken liver.

You still need the water chestnut in the center for textural contrast. It doesn't taste like much but it's crunchy!

Halve the scallop, place a water chestnut in the middle, wrap with bacon and skewer with a toothpick. Marinate in the soy and brown sugar mixture from the recipe and broil. Delicious and perfectly 50's retro.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

a chunk of ham, cheese, and pineapple on toothpicks.

a la cher in the movie mermaid, or am i hallucinating myself into her movie? i LIKE chunks of ham, cheese and pineapple together. in fact, i have a similar mixture in my grilled cheese book (the recipe is the austin powers shag a delic in case anyone is asking): basically ham, cheese and pineapple held together with mayo and a touch of pickle relish. to do a cheesey melt with it, keep the cheese out of the mixture and use it as a topping, then under the heat and melt. whoosh. yum.

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

bacon-wrapped water chestnuts

Wasn't that chicken liver and bacon wrapped water chestnuts, aka Rumaki?

Pretty good recipe to be found HERE.

Not if you hate, hate, hate chicken liver (or any other type of liver for that matter).

:biggrin:

Rumaki can be made with scallops in place of the liver if you please. :smile:

Going to do bacon wrapped scallops since I am not even a teeny tiny fan of chicken liver.

You still need the water chestnut in the center for textural contrast. It doesn't taste like much but it's crunchy!

Halve the scallop, place a water chestnut in the middle, wrap with bacon and skewer with a toothpick. Marinate in the soy and brown sugar mixture from the recipe and broil. Delicious and perfectly 50's retro.

Thanks Katie. I was wondering how to get the water chestnut in there..doh!

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

I have a phenomenal guide to entertaining in the 50's - Esquire's Handbook for Hosts. It is an American book, but my version was published under licence in London in 1955. It comes with recipes, cocktails, party games, tricke, ettiquette etc...

Here's a link to a few on sale on Abebooks. There are some there for only a few dollars - worth it for the curiosity value alone. Just make sure that you don't select a modern reprint, as there a few of those mixed in on the same page.

I'm in the UK, so I can't quite let you have a flick through mine, but if I can be any use, please let me know

Mat