• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you reheat, and stay rare?

Bella S.F.

Our prime rib was beautifully medium rare, tender, and juicy. How do you reheat a nice sized chunk of meat, and still have it taste the way it did when you made it, or close enough for it to still be wonderful? The prime rib is my main concern at the moment, but when I started thinking about it, I could use a good way to reheat any meat. Pork often gets really dry when reheated, and lamb ofen just gets a bit too welldone.

Thanks for any tips that will help us have another wonderful prime rib meal tonight!

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

i'm hoping someone answers with something better than this, but here's how i do it:

cut the meat into fairly small, serving size pieces, and microwave, briefly. if it's a powerful microwave, use a low power setting. covering with a paper towel can help retain a bit of steam heat.

and don't go for hot! hot will mean it's more cooked than rare. just warm it, and serve immediately.

Notes from the underbelly

It takes a while, but a water bath is probably your best bet.

• Seal the meat, leaving as little air as possible, in a plastic bag (or a food saver, if you have one), and make sure it's at room temperature before proceeding.
  • Insert a thermometer through the plastic and into the center of the meat. Seal the hole as best you can.
  • Fill a big pot (at least twice as big as your meat), and bring it to a bare simmer.
  • Submerge the wrapped meat , leaving the thermometer poking out the top, because no matter how well you seal the hole you made, it will leak. (You might have to set the meat on a rack so the hole is just above the water level. Measuring out the displacement before heating will save some trouble.)
  • The water temperature will drop, so you'll need to keep an eye on it -- from here on, you want to maintain a temperature of 130F. Heat the roast to an internal temperature of 120F or so -- whatever suits your taste.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.