• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manhattan Night Clubs?

GordonCooks

But quite frankly, NY has the worst dance scene of any major city in the world (to the best of my knowledge)

That's crap!

I can't believe I see so many people saying that NYC has such a bad nightlife/danceclub scene when there are soooo many options on any given night, so much so that people from all over the country and the world come to NYC for it.

It really depends what you are looking for; are you there for the music, the sound system, a particular DJ, a particular crowd, an "underground" feel, a Miami chic feel, etc. etc. - it's all happening -

I've been in your situation before, and if you are with a group of girls you're not going to have trouble getting into most clubs, and what you want is in the West Chelsea area i.e. Stereo, Crobar, Home, etc. feel free to PM me I'll sort you out

Right on Raji

I think what Nathan, others and even myself fail to accept is that we're not in our early/mid twenties anymore. Dance clubs are geared to this demographic not ours. As we get older our idea of good places to dance, which invariably comes down to the music and clientelle, diminishes rapidly.

That said, I still love to go dancing and try to accept the environment as "today's scene". As for big clubs, I've been to Pacha and Crobar recently and enjoyed them both very much. Both of them draw some of the best dj's in the world.

I think the best way to go dancing in NY is to decide on the music and go from there.

Nor am I, although I'm not quite as close to pushing up daisies as some of you mofos.

Guess you don't read your page six, Avalon was seized by the government, taxes or public nuisance, one or the other.

You have to be pretty far off the island to even CONSIDER Webster Hall. They were universally uncool because they were the ones putting up billboards and running radio ads when the amazing clubs were all "underground".

At this point I'll check in to the scene every few months and then slowly back away...

But what is considered the best "sr. circuit" dancy party on earth, Body and Soul, occurs within these 5 boroughs.

Don't forget the overwhelmingly cyclical nature of "the scene", ranging from unheard of debauchery out in the open to a police state just a few years later....it probably last peaked into that hedonism area around 93-95 then again 00ish

I had the dishonor to DJ at Webster Hall ONCE in my lifetime, as a favor, I was playing house and groove on the 1F for a big rap party upstairs, at that party a rival rapper got stabbed on stage and my friend got stuck with a lawsuit. I think that's why he left the country.

Funny you should mention the Body & Soul party Raji. I went to the one at Pacha last Sunday. My first.

Music and ambience really took me back to the late 80's/early 90's. Great classic house. Every nationality, age and gender represented. Everyone there for the music/dancing and having a crazy time. We had a ball.

I think it's the best dance party for anyone over 30. Too bad it's not held regularly.

That wasn't chicken