• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Simply Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup Recipe

zaskar

Does anyone have a sugar-free simple syrup recipe to use as a flavoring in coffee or drinks?

I was going to try making one using Splenda for baking, trying one with vanilla extra and one with a vanilla bean. I'm not too sure how the Splenda will disolve.

I'd though I'd ask before I attempted and wasted anything.

Any suggestions appreciated.

thanks!

I've never made a simple syrup with it, but Splenda dissolves great in coffee & stuff. I know you've not asked this but just a passing thought is that TJ Maxx and places like that have bottles of sugar free all kinds of flavors of stuff like this especially this time of year. Plus they'd be on clearance too.

But I'd love to hear how this turns out for you too.

The splenda dissolves fine. In fact, you probably won't even need to heat the water to dissolve the splenda.

The downside to a splenda syrup is that, without the preserving qualities of the sugar, it won't last long. A week maybe, but I wouldn't go past 5 days in the fridge.

I make a sugar free syrup with splenda and polydextrose, and, because of the preserving qualities of the polydextrose, it lasts forever in the fridge. That might be a little more involved than you want to go, though.

I think you'd be better off putting some vanilla extract in an eyedropper. When you have coffee, add a teaspoon or two of splenda and a drop or two of vanilla.

your right, but chlorocarbons do not sound so good either. I am still on the fence with sucralose.

If you dont mind the more expensive xylitol, I think that is the best choice for sugar substitute out there. That is if money is negligible.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Does anyone have a sugar-free simple syrup recipe to use as a flavoring in coffee or drinks?

I was going to try making one using Splenda for baking, trying one with vanilla extra and one with a vanilla bean.  I'm not too sure how the Splenda will disolve.

I'd though I'd ask before I attempted and wasted anything.

Any suggestions appreciated.

thanks!

Define sugar free in your context? Are we talking something with a low glycemic index or merely something other than table sugar

your right, but chlorocarbons do not sound so good either.  I am still on the fence with sucralose.

If you dont mind the more expensive xylitol, I think that is the best choice for sugar substitute out there.  That is if money is negligible.

Xylitol won't work in a simple syrup. It has a greater propensity to crystallize than sugar does. It would be fine when heated, but would precipitate out when when chilled. The only way xylitol would work would be in the presence of a crystallization inhibitor, such as polydextrose or inulin.

If you have studies showing the dangers of sucralose, please share them. On the same note, I'd be happy to post the studies I've found revealing the dangers of fructose.

the problem with sucralose is, there doesn't seem to be an urge to test studies negatively. I think that is what scares me.

I have read plenty of problems with fructose, but please share, I love reading more.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea