• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris Trip (3 to 15 December 2006) Hiramatsu Savoy

pirate

These are just some brief notes.

Hiramatsu: small but spacious and elegant. Good wine list and service. Food well executed but nothing was memorable

Guy Savoy; One gets an overwhelming amount of food here even a la carte. I like the restaurant but no longer like to gorge. On their website a 100 euro at lunch with entree, plat dessert chosen from their menu is available. You have to ask. It is an excellent value. Wines are expensive. I've been unhappy with the bottles I had there. Scallops entree and apple dessert were fine. Plat of veal kidneys with spinach and mushrooms was boring.

L'Arpege: I didn't reserve. Just showed up at 12:30 for lunch and asked for a table for one. I got a good table in this small and somewhat cramped restaurant. This being the restaurant's 20th anniversary they have a 130 euro vegetarian menu. Not quite vegatarian since there was a coquille st jacques plat. The vegetables are from Passard's farm. When asked I said it was an interesting experiment. I was treated very nicely. Passard sent out a complimentary plat of cod with a vegetable puree I liked . I was also comped an aperitif and glass of wine

Relais du Parc; It now has a Michelin star but is a big letdown from when Robuchon had a restaurant accross the way

Le Stresa: This is a restaurant on the street behind the Plaza Athenee. It is famous for celebrities and others that frequent it. It's small.crowded and far and away the most fascinating restaurant to dine in. For years I found it impossible to reserve in the usual way, but lucked out in an unusual way. Don't ask. The food is classic simple Italian.. I liked it so much I went a second time. On second visit I asked at a neighboring table about a wine they were drinking. We conversed a bit. He was an art dealer from Antwerp and his guest was a young conductor. The art dealer mentioned the restaurant was like a club. Indeed it is.

Le Stresa: This is a restaurant on the street behind the Plaza Athenee. It is famous for celebrities and others that frequent it.  It's small.crowded and far and away the most fascinating restaurant to dine in. For years I found it impossible to reserve in the usual way, but lucked out in an unusual way. Don't ask. The food is classic simple Italian.. I liked it so much I went a second time. On second visit I asked at a neighboring table about a wine they were drinking. We conversed a bit. He was an art dealer from Antwerp and his guest was a young conductor. The art dealer mentioned the restaurant was like a club. Indeed it is.

Thanks for this review!

I will be in Paris in early Feb..have been gathering information on spots to dine this trip.

I have previously enjoyed dinner at Guy Savoy.

I think I will give Le Stresa a try. I will put my reservation request in the hands of my concierge at the Westminster and see what happens.

Thanks again,

Joan

I assume that you're a woman. Le Stresa is a block from the Ave. Montaigne and is a fashionista's heaven. Beautiful woman wi th impeccable figures and fashionable clothes abound. That's part of the wow. Coca-Cola and Coca-Cola lLght are their usual drinks. That got me to try Coca-Cola Light on my flight back. I liked it.

If you google "le stresa paris" you'll find posts with comments on it and a picture of the main room. What can't be pictured is the welcome and desire of the six brothers, two of them twins, who own and run it to make you feel comfortable and at home. The lunch scene is theater and one eats and enjoys it. I'm happy although puzzled that I was accepted. Do I have unsuspected charm?

Edited by pirate (log)