• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you serve with a very old Reisling?

alanbalchin

I've been given a very old bottle of Reisling........a 1976 Eltviller Taubenberg Auslese........any one help?!  Not even sure if its sweet or dry??!!

And what would you serve with it!!!!????

Auslese - late harvest and mildly sweet.

Probably not sweet enough for desert - the old standby by a slice of pate de foie gras? Or perhaps some white fish lightly braised in some more reisling?

Arse knows about the survivability. Normally whites don't last 30 yrs - because its a sweeter wine may last longer.

Ta

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Old reislings are often wonderful. 1976 was a very hot year, but can be flabby. It will be drying off some by now.

I would not have anything fatty with it, nor anything too strongly flavoured.

Maybe scallops, but a wine of such finesse should be enjoyed on its own, with perhaps some dry biscuits.

Old reislings are often wonderful. 1976 was a very hot year, but can be flabby. It will be drying off some by now.

I would not have anything fatty with it, nor anything too strongly flavoured.

Maybe scallops, but a wine of such finesse should be enjoyed on its own, with perhaps some dry biscuits.

Jon,

I'll second most of Jackal10's comments. If stored correctly, 30 years for an Auslese, assuming it's from a good producer, should be no problem. I recently enjoyed a 1966 Spatlese, from Weingut Ratzenberger in Bacharach-Steeg, that was still fresh and vibrant.

Indeed, 76 was a good but also hot year. You should expect the wine to be fully developed and quite round. I'd recommend it most of all by itself. Scallops would indeed be a good pairing though I'd steer away from biscuits or anything sweet or starchy in general.

much of my wine education came from a dear friend who had presciently bought up a bunch of the '71s. old rieslings are wonderful by themselves. the best accompaniment is crisp night air. usher everyone outside, pour them a glass, then tell them to breathe deep. failing that, a mild, ripened cheese such as taleggio might be ok.

Tuna tartare might be nice too. Provided the wine still had some of it's acidity left.

I've had some very old rieslings and if stored with proper providence, can be mind boggling in their ability to stand the test of time. Both the residual sugar and the high acid help preserve it well. Riesling may be one of the few whites that has a snowball's chance in hell to last that long.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I have a few cases of 70's riesling (including still very drinkable 76) and the bottles give great pleasure when shared with friends.

Russ Parsons has got it right - it will make a perfect aperitif. The alcohol level will be low which means two can finish off a bottle without ill effect.

These wines have an amazing capacity to keep ageing. Until recently 30 year old rieslings could be picked up in Germany for not much more than €5 per bottle - for many years they were not the most fashionable wines but for sheer drinking pleasure at this price they are hard to beat.