• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing Divinity

Kim Shook

MIL wants to make divinity now and serve at Xmas if she can. Does anyone know how and how long to store it? This is one of my main pet peeves. When I am Queen of the Universe, the law will be that all recipes must tell you exactly how and how long you can store something. :laugh: Ta!

Kim,

Its a little early to be starting divinity for Christmas just yet, I think.

Store it airtight. A tupperware container with layers of wax paper between layers of candy works really well.

As far as keeping it, humidity will do a huge number on divinity. Here in South Florida, a week is the most I felt comfortable with it, it gets downright gummy. In other parts of the country, with low humidity and cool temperatures I am certain that two weeks is probably the outer limit. In direct contrast to my high humidity and the results, I have seen it dry out into something very unappetizing in South Georgia of all places.

Some others may have better input, but personally I would not risk it more than 10 days ahead of consumption time. It just isn't one of those things that keep, although it ships amazingly well!

I don't think I'm doing it this year. :huh: I miss it every cool snap this time of year, though. Specifically my mom's! She usually did her first batch the week after Thanksgiving, but storage wasn't a problem as it was consumed half a batch a day or so until everyone got tired of it!

Anne

Edited by annecros (log)