• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Romantic Birthday in Philadelphia

garriga

I was looking at the website for the restaurant, and noticed they had a forum. This post from the chef can be found there:

First and foremost, the article in the Univ of Penn's DAILY PENNSYLVANIAN which you refer, has been officially retracted and corrected to state emphatically that DEUX CHEMINEES IS NOT CLOSING

It is true, however, that my 'retirement' is upcoming; but I want to make it very clear that , Deux Cheminées will continue to remain open with me as "Chef Proprietaire Emeritus", and as such, I shall continue to provide advice regarding the menu and certainly oversee the recipes which have so distinguished "The Doo" as a fine dining destination for the past 28 years.

Also notable is that the virtually 100% of our staff will remain loyal employees under the watchful eyes of our General Manager and business partner, Mr. Jim Petrie.

Certainly behind the stoves our regular team of chefs, cooks, and sundry employees will remain in place and continue to provide the excellent food and service which our customers have always enjoyed.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Was that gorgeous wine table still in the library??  Or has that been packed and shipped off to Thailand already? (read: is it too late for me to stage a late night break in and steal it... :raz:)

It was still there. Very impressive indeed.

gallery_19142_4012_40715.jpg

Was that gorgeous wine table still in the library??  Or has that been packed and shipped off to Thailand already? (read: is it too late for me to stage a late night break in and steal it... :raz:)

It was still there. Very impressive indeed.

gallery_19142_4012_40715.jpg

<sigh> My thanks for the visual. It's hard to tell from the photo, but that table is just so pretty up close and personal. Each and every square is the end of a wooden wine crate with the name of the vineyard emblazoned upon it. Gorgeous.

Pretty impressive view of the library as well. Chef Blank has an enviable collection (world class, in fact) of cookbooks, menus and restaurant memorabilia housed in his restaurant. It's a one of a kind collection. The University of Pennsylvania library is the fortunate recipient of his largess in this. There's no other place that these documents exist. They are most fortunate to be recipients of his collection.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol