• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Harvest Festivals Around the World

Carrot Top

Here, of course, in the US, Thanksgiving is our harvest festival.

I just came across an incredible site: Harvest Festivals that has a fantastic list of harvest festivals worldwide, complete with the traditional foods prepared and eaten and the histories and myths attached to the days.

I would love to hear stories about harvest festivals in other parts of the world, if you have one to share. :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, Pongal harvest festival of South India

coming up next month, as if non-stop feasting

from Navaratri (end-October) through New Year was not

enough :biggrin:

Plenty of Pongal recipes here:

http://www.pongalfestival.org/pongal-recipes.html

It's funny from our more modern over-fed perspective

how rice+dal+millk with lots of cashews signified

plenty and abundance.....

Now I have these items every day and have to

run behind my kids begging them to eat.....

Milagai

Edited by Milagai (log)

koreans celebrate thanksgiving, I believe sometime in September and I think it's called chosok or something along those lines.

Like an american thanksgiving, Koreans tend to serve many delicious and elaborate dishes. This is one of the only times of the year where I will actually eat chap chae - boring dish

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Shavuot is the Jewish harvest festival.

Yes, of course. To me, Shavuot is Noodle Kugel Day. And I think there should be a Noodle Kugel Day each month. :wink::smile:

enough  :biggrin:

India is marvellously full of festivals, isn't it, Milagai. I am always astonished and impressed!

Like an american thanksgiving, Koreans tend to serve many delicious and elaborate dishes.  This is one of the only times of the year where I will actually eat chap chae - boring dish

:biggrin: You have explained exactly how I feel about turkey with those words. :sad:

enough  :biggrin:

India is marvellously full of festivals, isn't it, Milagai. I am always astonished and impressed!

Carrot top: there are all the world religions there, and lots of

local ones, and everyone celebrates everyone else's festivals

or at least downs tools and eats....

Don't try to get anything critical scheduled during the festival

seasons....

Milagai