• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beer Vinegar

chappie

Sarted thinking about pricey beers that get opened and unfinished (um, if it makes you squeamish I will say they were poured, partially, in glasses...). Looked up "beer vinegar" and found references to its use in Dutch and Belgian cuisine.

Can you make beer vinegar? Does anyone have any experience with this? Seems like a natural, perhaps a good replacement for malt vinegar on fish and chips...

Can you make beer vinegar?

:biggrin: All too easily. The home brewing fora are full of "My beer tastes of vinegar" posts - Acetobacter is quite happy in beer. Google will find you sources for bacteria cultures for doing the same thing deliberately.

perhaps a good replacement for malt vinegar on fish and chips...

You raise my curiosity. What else would malt vinegar be? Depending on what beer you use, the result will be more or less like the commercially produced malt vinegar. The bitterness imparted by high hopping rates while attractive in beer would probably give an unpleasant edge to your 'beergar'.

I've thought about doing this since I brew anyway, but the hassle of running a physically separate process to avoid contamination puts a stop to it. The best beer would [i think] be a heavily caramelised, lightly hopped one. Not the sort of thing I'd normally be brewing to drink.

Technically, it would be Alegar

:smile: Yeah, I thought about that, but wearing my trusty pedant's hat, I'll stand by Beergar [or beeregar, if you prefer that spelling]. If Chappie's recycling commercial product then it's almost certainly hopped.

Probably best not to get into 'gruit'. Discussion of the appropriate name for the unpleasant product likely to be produced from 'lager' may be similarly unhelpful, although there's a low pleasure to be had in saying "lagereger" repeatedly :laugh: