• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Large Cheap Stainless Steel Stockpots in NJ...

zoe b

I need 16-20 qt size stockpots--not for cooking, for soapmaking--I just wore a hole through my old one--I now know that they aren't stainless steel all the way through!! There's some black metal sandwiched in between two outer layers of SS.

The old one was probably $10 from Odd Jobs (I miss that store)

At the time, these cheapo pots were everywhere--now, nowhere that I've been able to find them--and nothing has turned up at the thrift stores since I've been looking.

I've looked at Wal-Mart, KMart, called Penneys and the closest Odd Lots

I really don't need a good quality pot because all i do is melt the hard oils in the pot and then mix up the soap. But it must be stainless steel--it's non reactive.

Has anyone seen these pots around --this is NW NJ--Hunterdon County area--but Somerset, Morris ans Warren are all within my driving range.

thanks--Zoe

Sounds like you just need to find a restaurant supply store, Zoe! Someone must know of at least one in your area...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Usually the cheap ones around now are aluminum.

Since it lasts you so long, why don't you get a Farberware? The 16 qt is about $50 bucks (Amazon). I think they come with a lifetime guarantee, so it would be the last one you'd ever buy!!

Try one of the large "Asian" food markets that dot the state. They often have an entire aisle of cheap, no nonsense Chinese and Indian cookware, both stainless and aluminum (and, for woks- steel).

I miss Odd Job, too. Sure they carried a lot of junk (especially near the end, when they were carrying a lot of dollar store stuff, with pre-printed Odd Job price tags on it, so you know it was made to sell cheap). But, they carried a lot of true odd lot stuff, name brands, often with national retailers' price stickers still attached. Big Lots (not too many in NJ, tho') isn't too bad- better than the dollar stores and that Amazing Savings outfit that bought Odd Job and eventually went bankrupt itself.

curlz said--

Sounds like you just need to find a restaurant supply store, Zoe!  Someone must know of at least one in your area...

yeah, but restaurant quality pots are still quite expensive in my experience--I'm still trying to be a cheapskate even though I know I'll have to bite the bullet!

menton said

Since it lasts you so long, why don't you get a Farberware?

I guess this is what I'll do--just watch for a good sale for a name brand pot

alison and tim--gee thanks for giving me more places to waste time online browsing! Great sites!!

jess--have to hit Asian Grocer this week as i'm out of a lot stuff--will check there, but i think I remember pots are aluminum there.

And I'm glad i'm not the only one who still mourns Odd Jobs--I get all teary when we pass the big Amazing Savings warehouse on rt 78--look for signs of life there.

zoe