• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Season Shot

johnsmith45678

Season Shot is made of tightly packed seasoning bound by a fully biodegradable food product. The seasoning is actually injected into the bird on impact seasoning the meat from the inside out. When the bird is cooked the seasoning pellets melt into the meat spreading the flavor to the entire bird. Forget worrying about shot breaking your teeth and start wondering about which flavor shot to use!

http://www.seasonshot.com/How.cfm

Not a bad idea! :hmmm:

I don't see how that can be real, or at least functional. Most hunters I know aren't willing to compromise something as individual as seasoning. If you are going to spend that much time, money, and effort to hunt something, then why use something may under or overseason, depending on the number of pellets that hit. I can also imagine that this would affect range of the shot.

Besides, you food would taste like gunpowder.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Yeah...but the prospect of not having tooth-breaking shot in meat is certainly appealing. :)

When my Dad used to hunt ducks we'd have a competition while eating them. Whoever found the first piece of shot was awarded the BeeBee Prize.

SB (this was back when shot was lead! :shock: )

I don't see how that can be real, or at least functional. Most hunters I know aren't willing to compromise something as individual as seasoning. If you are going to spend that much time, money, and effort to hunt something, then why use something may under or overseason, depending on the number of pellets that hit. I can also imagine that this would affect range of the shot.

I do believe it's for real, though I can't speak for the functionality. I'd read a newspaper article on this last month. There are several versions of it floating around in the media, here's one: link (scroll down)

I can't see why it's not possible. We swallow hard-coated pills that dissolve in our stomachs every day. Surely modern chemistry can come up with lethal & subsequently dissolving buckshot.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I do believe it's for real, though I can't speak for the functionality. I'd read a newspaper article on this last month. There are several versions of it floating around in the media, here's one: link (scroll down)

I can't see why it's not possible. We swallow hard-coated pills that dissolve in our stomachs every day. Surely modern chemistry can come up with lethal & subsequently dissolving buckshot.

I don't know. Most bird hunters still swear the old lead shot was much more effective than the steel that was mandated to replace it. I can't believe any substance that disolves would be as good as steel?

Anyway, I've emailed the articles to some avid hunters, (and wild game cooks), to see what they think.

SB :hmmm:

I wouldn't expect it to be as good as steel, or lead, either, but it could still get the job done.

Anyway it gives new meaning to the phrase, "peppered with buckshot." :laugh:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

My BIL, an avid bird hunter, thought the concept of disolvable shot was great from an environmental standpoint, but as a wild game cook he wondered about getting the seasoning evenly distributed.

He opined that this method of flavor injection might work better if utilized after the bird was already dead, (which only half defeats the purpose), but he found the idea of my Sister, (a recently re-employed kitchen professional), armed with a shot gun in the kitchen profoundly disturbing.

SB (We concluded the whole idea was somewhat akin to brining pork by drowning hogs in the ocean! :wacko: )

And just to add, it couldn't possibly be humane. If you were to miss, and little bunny foo foo limps away from the encounter with you, it would hurt like hell afterwards (even more than being shot in general). Think of having a few peppercorns imbedded in your skin.

Put it this way. my grandfather used to run the stray dogs off with a .410 loaded with rock salt. It's non-lethal at anything but point-blank range. That's why I'm thinking it wouldn't be worth a dern. If I read on the site correctly, the seasoning pellets melt in the oven. By the time the surrounding tissue gets to melting temp, wouldn't it be too late to season anyway?

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

And just to add, it couldn't possibly be humane.

In another manner concerning humane hunting, the lighter the shot, the less penetration upon impact, all other factors being equal. This results in more wounded rather than killed birds.

For more than you wanted to know about shotgun pellets.

So, unless the seasoned shot is heavier than steel, (most unlikely), it will simply leave more wounded birds in the field.

SB (although the foxes and other predators might appreciate the added falvor?) :unsure:

Am I the only one who thinks this is completely crazy?

Nope! I think it's a terrible idea.

When I used to cook a lot of wild game birds, not only was the taste generally too good for me to even think about seasoning the meat heavily and/or through and through, but it varied a lot, depending on what the birds had been eating. No way would I want to use a commercial preparation.