• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

February trip

grace3

Dress codes..I brought this up partially to see what others thought in the changes that we have seen.

I wouldn't like to see a dress code completely disappear. I think people like to dress up when they go out..maybe this is more feminine!  You would not want to take away the joy that women have in shopping for "something to wear" to dinner, would you??

I'm ambivalent about the diversion of this thread into a discussion of dress but I guess so long as we're talking about dress for eating occasions, it's within our mission. (PS there has been much said before about it too so I suspect we're plowing well-tilled land here).

My two cents: 50 years ago no man would enter an upscale Parisian resto without a coat and tie; now, except for business folk type places catering to business folks, law and insurance companies, ministries, etc., open collars, black tees and even sweat shirts are perfectly permissible, indeed they may be a uniform for those in the media, film, hightech industries and the like. On the other hand, while men's fashions' "relaxed," woman have remained elegant. (17 years ago, for a talk on changes in food and culture, I took a few dozen semi-hidden camera photos of couples going to eat - the women were dressed to die, the men like schlumps). No woman I know or have ever seen entering a restaurant (except Madonna) comes in her underwear, housecoat, jogging clothes or cleaning schmattes.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

porkpa,

Sorry that I mentioned the Americans...only did so because of another post. No, it is not just the Americans..and the Americans should not be blamed for everything!

I think it is just the trend to make things more casual and relaxed. There should still be places that couples can go where all are dressed for a nice occasion.

When I think of it, about the only places that we have that truly have dress codes are our private Country Clubs. All that I know of have strict requirements for different dining rooms and hours. If you or your guest does not have a jacket, they will provide one.

I can remember a few years back at the very lovely Breakers in Pam Beach, Fl that early morning golfers (as was my husband) could not have breakfast just wearing a short sleeve golf shirt. A cardigan sweater over it was acceptable. The Breakers is one of THE best places in the world.

Sorry, john to have gotten us off on this dress thing..indirectly related to dining..

Joan