• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ice cream substitute for crêpes?

Grub

This idea struck me (I'm sure someone must have done this before) about a desert crêpe roulade with some kind of an ice cream filling... Does anyone know of something that is similar to ice cream, that I could use? Something that doesn't require the same slow-chilling-while-stirring method that ice cream requires?

I see no point in doing this with pre-purchased ice cream, and have made a few failed attempt at making ice cream, in spite of having no equipment for it -- and I'll probably try that again one day -- but I was wondering if anyone knows of something I could use instead of ice cream, for a filling?

The filling will probably also contain fruit or jam, and something cruncy in texture like chocolate chips or cookie crumbs. I intend to roll them up and freeze them, and then slice them up like sushi rolls before serving.

Any help would be appreciated!

This idea struck me  (I'm sure someone must have done this before) about a desert crêpe roulade with some kind of an ice cream filling... Does anyone know of something that is similar to ice cream, that I could use? Something that doesn't require the same slow-chilling-while-stirring method that ice cream requires?

I see no point in doing this with pre-purchased ice cream, and have made a few failed attempt at making ice cream, in spite of having no equipment for it -- and I'll probably try that again one day -- but I was wondering if anyone knows of something I could use instead of ice cream, for a filling?

The filling will probably also contain fruit or jam, and something cruncy in texture like chocolate chips or cookie crumbs. I intend to roll them up and freeze them, and then slice them up like sushi rolls before serving.

Any help would be appreciated!

Some sort of italian semifreddo where you freeze the already whipped cream with your other ingredients. I'm sure there are numerous recipes on line. And one short eG thread here.

similar to what kerry said, making a pate a bombe mixture (whipped egg yolks with sugar syrup cooked to soft ball stage poured in, whipped until cool), lightened with a bit of whipped cream and folding in your crunchy/chunky ingredients, then freezing would also work.

Semifreddo or pate a bombe eh? I'll try some recipes and have a stab at it. I'll report back... Thanks, guys!

Edit: Two d's in Semifreddo... Was wondering if this was some kinda half-hobbit or semi Mr. Corleone recipe or whatnot...

Edited by Grub (log)