• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My whetstone arrived....Now what?

IamQuidam

Hello all!

You'll have to forgive my lack of know how here....

About 2 months ago, I invested in 2 fantastic Shun knives (7" Chef and 3.5" Paring). They are wonderful knives and I don't work a day without them.

But the time has come to where I am going to need to sharpen these babies up. I ordered Shun's whetstone (300 grit and 1000 grit) and it arrived yesterday.

And that's where I am. I am not totally certain on the care and upkeep of the whetstone, if I need oil, or even how I am supposed to sharpen properly. I have read several articles, which say to start with the 300 grit side, sharpen at a 20 degree angle, 10-20 swipes, and then do the same on the other side. The directions that came with the stone say to keep it in water for 5 minutes prior to use.

Any help and advice would be appreciated!!

IAmQuidam

It's one thing to read about it and another to see it done. I highly recommend getting the sharpening video at www.korin.com. Details can certainly be learned through reading but seeing someone going through the motions is not subject to interpretation. DO NOT USE OIL on this stone. Soak in water until the bubbles stop and keep wet as you sharpen.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band