• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2007 Michelin New York

Fat Guy

I don't think that's what robyn is saying, Nathan. Today, some restaurants in France do open with three stars. Robyn is saying that, back in the day, that wouldn't have happened: new restaurants had to earn their stars one by one. I certainly get the sense that there used to be a slower climb than there is today, though there may have been exceptions then and now.

Robyn, I don't think you've accurately characterized what I've said in the past. That any given restaurant, on any given night, can serve a bad meal is simply a fact. Disagreeing about it is like disagreeing on whether people can make mistakes. Of course they can. Nothing is 100% reliable. You don't have to like it to understand that it's true.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

"They even got the neighborhood wrong for Masa, listing it as Midtown East. Think they went?"

yes, I think they went.  as for the neighborhood listings...a lot of them are weird.  but they're not so weird once you realize that they're written for tourists.

as for Yasuda, yeah, I'm surprised that it didn't get a star...but you haven't explained, imo, why Masa would merit three as opposed to two...which is a great honor.

There's weird and there's just plain wrong. The Time Warner Center is now one of the epicenters of the West Side - it's between 8th and 9th, why in the world would it be listed as Midtown East, they just f'ed up. As for the others neighborhood listings, what's weird about them? They're accurate if you limit yourself to the broadly defined neighborhoods that they do -

As for Masa, I said "but Masa is on another level, an intimate shrine, comparable to a chef's table if you are at the counter in front of Masa, and a tasting menu tailored for each diner with seasonal ingredients of impeccable quality and preparation...so yeah, I kind of think it deserves 3 stars"... read all the other reviews, NYT 4-stars, and the other automotive-gastro Mobil gave him 5-stars, on any other list he'd be at the top...

I'd venture to say that there has got to be French culinary pride involved, not wanting to recognize that Japanese cuisine has been replacing it in that upper-echelon...is maybe why Masa can't break 2?

some really interesting info in this link:

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/northam..._Michelin_guide

Yet ANOTHER confusing description of their rating system:

According to Michelin, a restaurant gets one star if it's among the world's 1,000 best, two stars for the top 300, and three stars are awarded to the top 59 eateries.

"They even got the neighborhood wrong for Masa, listing it as Midtown East. Think they went?"

yes, I think they went.  as for the neighborhood listings...a lot of them are weird.  but they're not so weird once you realize that they're written for tourists.

as for Yasuda, yeah, I'm surprised that it didn't get a star...but you haven't explained, imo, why Masa would merit three as opposed to two...which is a great honor.

There's weird and there's just plain wrong. The Time Warner Center is now one of the epicenters of the West Side - it's between 8th and 9th, why in the world would it be listed as Midtown East, they just f'ed up. As for the others neighborhood listings, what's weird about them? They're accurate if you limit yourself to the broadly defined neighborhoods that they do -

As for Masa, I said "but Masa is on another level, an intimate shrine, comparable to a chef's table if you are at the counter in front of Masa, and a tasting menu tailored for each diner with seasonal ingredients of impeccable quality and preparation...so yeah, I kind of think it deserves 3 stars"... read all the other reviews, NYT 4-stars, and the other automotive-gastro Mobil gave him 5-stars, on any other list he'd be at the top...

I'd venture to say that there has got to be French culinary pride involved, not wanting to recognize that Japanese cuisine has been replacing it in that upper-echelon...is maybe why Masa can't break 2?

Only New Yorkers could quibble so much about the proper way to describe the location of the TWC. It is definitely midtown. At 1 Central Park at Columbus Circle. It is close to most tourists staying in hotel areas midtown on the east side - particularly those hotels on or near Central Park South. If anything - the guide has done the restaurant a favor - since my perception is more tourists stay on the east side (not the far east side but the east side) than the west side (I've stayed at the Trump once - usually I'm on the east side). And if you're staying on the east side - you'll figure this place isn't too far away (which it isn't).

As for Japanese food versus French food - I don't think it's simply a matter of French culinary pride. I am not anything near an expert when it comes to Japanese food - but I did spend 3 weeks in Japan this year eating some pretty high class food (which was fresh in the market that morning - unlike the stuff that Masa gets flown in). I find Japanese food delightful - and it suits the way I generally like to eat these days - but it is simply not as complex an undertaking as French food. Except when it comes to kaiseki meals - which Masa doesn't serve. Moreover - even with kaiseki meals - in my opinion they are to food what conceptual art is to art. Refined - usually very ascetic. Exquisitely prepared and visually pleasing - yes. Delicious - no. An intellectual as opposed to a sensory experience.

Note that part of the problem with Masa (as a restaurant in general) based on what I've read is that they're serving certain Japanese food for about twice what you pay for it in Japan. Shipping costs a lot. And the fish is still less fresh than what you get in Japan (we ate fish at noon that was at the market 3 hours earlier). Not that the restaurants in Japan are cheap - but I doubt many tourists who are seriously interested in Japanese food are going to spend $500 in New York for what they can get for $200 in Tokyo these days (and if you're talking about fish - as opposed to putting foie gras and truffles on the fish - which is basically a French affectation - that's about what you'll spend). Robyn

quick question:

is it literally true that when Michelin first introduces a guide for a new area that no restaurant in that area gets more than a star?

I have a hard time believing that has ever been the case.  I'm willing to lay some cash down that it's a myth.

Further, I'm also willing to bet that when an already established chef opens a new restaurant...that that restaurant may well open with more than one star...even in Paris.

I think Steve pretty much said what I meant.

I can only speak of the 70's and 80's (which I believe reflect the years before - but not after). Only left North America once in the 90's (UK). Back then - Michelin was an entirely European French-centric institution. And although perhaps some chefs started with more than 1 star (maybe not - I'm not familiar with every new restaurant during those years) - none of the "superstars" of that era with whom I'm familiar did. You're not talking about really old chefs from that era either. Many are about my age (in their 50's - perhaps early 60's).

Moreover - there were either no - or relatively few - "new guides". The red guides had been around in certain countries for years - and missing from others. I wouldn't bet my life on it - but I think this expansion of Michelin into the US is probably its largest expansion in terms of country coverage in decades. Whenever I went to a country in Europe - there was either an established Michelin guide - or there wasn't. I think one of the big advances back then was a Michelin guide which covered the larger cities in Europe - and it provided the first coverage of some major cities in countries which didn't have country Michelin guides (and probably still don't).

Finally - the idea of a famous established chef opening a new restaurant was pretty much unknown except when the chef was simply changing location (like Senderens moving from the purple dump Archestrate into the opulent Lucas Carton location - and he carried his stars with him from his old location to his new one). There certainly wasn't any concept of a chef opening multiple locations (I think - am not sure - that Ducasse was the first really famous chef who did that in the 90's) - or what are basically franchises (like Robuchon is doing now). Like they say - it's a whole new ball game. Chefs gone wild :wink: . Robyn

Only New Yorkers could quibble so much about the proper way to describe the location of the TWC.  It is definitely midtown.  At 1 Central Park at Columbus Circle.  It is close to most tourists staying in hotel areas midtown on the east side - particularly those hotels on or near Central Park South.  If anything - the guide has done the restaurant a favor - since my perception is more tourists stay on the east side (not the far east side but the east side) than the west side (I've stayed at the Trump once - usually I'm on the east side).  And if you're staying on the east side - you'll figure this place isn't too far away (which it isn't).

As for Japanese food versus French food - I don't think it's simply a matter of French culinary pride.  I am not anything near an expert when it comes to Japanese food - but I did spend 3 weeks in Japan this year eating some pretty high class food (which was fresh in the market that morning - unlike the stuff that Masa gets flown in).  I find Japanese food delightful - and it suits the way I generally like to eat these days - but it is simply not as complex an undertaking as French food.  Except when it comes to kaiseki meals - which Masa doesn't serve.  Moreover - even with kaiseki meals - in my opinion they are to food what conceptual art is to art.  Refined - usually very ascetic.  Exquisitely prepared and visually pleasing - yes.  Delicious - no.  An intellectual as opposed to a sensory experience.

Note that part of the problem with Masa (as a restaurant in general) based on what I've read is that they're serving certain Japanese food for about twice what you pay for it in Japan.  Shipping costs a lot.  And the fish is still less fresh than what you get in Japan (we ate fish at noon that was at the market 3 hours earlier).  Not that the restaurants in Japan are cheap - but I doubt many tourists who are seriously interested in Japanese food are going to spend $500 in New York for what they can get for $200 in Tokyo these days (and if you're talking about fish - as opposed to putting foie gras and truffles on the fish - which is basically a French affectation - that's about what you'll spend).  Robyn

Well..... I don't know that there was any quibbling.. I'm pretty sure all the visitor guides will tell you that 5th Avenue is the middle... any address says XXX WEST 46th Street or XXX EAST 53rd St, etc., so I think it's pretty obvious... I mean come on Michelin, it's a grid.

And Per Se is in the very same building with the same address, and they listed it correctly, as Midtown West. It's probably just a stupid mistake, made it into the press releases, let's see if it made it into print. It's just ironic.

I think you've got the nomenclature mixed up too - "midtown" is a north-south, not east-west, distinction. Midtown is what's in between uptown and downtown. Midtown West is that chunk from 5th to the Hudson. Midtown East is that chunk from 5th to the East River. Midtown West or Clinton, it will always be Hell's Kitchen to me

Semantics aside, you're preaching to the choir about the value proposition - when Masa opened, with it's hefty price-tag, I think I was the one arguing the loudest that to enjoy dinner and drink at Masa was the same price as off-peak airfare between NY and Tokyo, so you might as well go see for yourself.

That said, according to Michelin, money is no object; it's purely about what is on the plate. And a lot of people don't have the time or money to be going to Japan, although you'd think the type of person who can afford Masa does. I haven't been there yet (have been dying to), but have heard an overwhelming amount of positive food intel, from both Japanese and non-, and being that it is such a feast where you are getting both quality and quantity in an "ethereal" setting, with the attention to detail they strive for, I'm sure they're aspiring for a third star. The restaurant has 26 seats, they MUST be obsessed with quality control.

Don't assume Masa has all their "stuff" flown in from Japan, the top NY sushi places use sources from all over and usually the fish coming from Japan are those which are only in season or exclusive to that market and those fish suitable to the flash-freezng process as well - that's why Yasuda-san can serve you an uni simultaneously from the North Atlantic and the North Pacific...

I tend to agree with your assessment of Kaiseki in general, but I think at a solid kaiseki like Sugiyama, it's a non-issue, it's always going to taste better than it looks. Megu suffers from sometimes sacrificing flavor for excessively flashy presentation. So it's too bad you haven't had delicious kaiseki - it's supposed to be delicious!

What tourists pay $350 in NY instead of $200 in Tokyo for is Masa - while sushi is a collective process from fish market to plate, there is the artisan who puts it all together and by all accounts there are few better than Masa. And of course you are paying a premium having some of the best fish in the world brought to you here in NY.

Now are the stars a rating on complexity, that could be their sixth stated meaning...

Edited by raji (log)

If there is one thing this discussion has convinced me of , it is that I must try Masa. Between what I have read here and what I have seen in the Masa topic, my culinary curiosity is certainly piqued.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

If there is one thing this discussion has convinced me of , it is that I must try Masa. Between what I have read here and what I have seen in the Masa topic, my culinary curiosity is certainly piqued.

Absolutely. I was in the "put towards next flight to Japan" camp until I read several "religious experience" reviews of Masa in a row. People are having out-of-body experiences there....

Absolutely. I was in the "put towards next flight to Japan" camp until I read several "religious experience" reviews of Masa in a row. People are having out-of-body experiences there....

...and I can use the money I saved on not being able to buy Mets World Series tickets there! :laugh:

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

...and I can use the money I saved on not being able to buy Mets World Series tickets there! :laugh:

Doc, you and I are going tpo get along just fine.... just fine....

I bet you like being called Doc, dontcha Doc!

Now if someone on here knows Boras, maybe we could collectively woo Matsuzaka by showing him how comfortable NYC is for a native Japanese, over Chef Masa's cuisine. He's already married, so the biggest potential problem is already solved. We need a young ace and I would hate to see this guy in a yankme uniform :angry:

Doc, you and I are going tpo get along just fine.... just fine....

I bet you like being called Doc, dontcha Doc!

Now if someone on here knows Boras, maybe we could collectively woo Matsuzaka by showing him how comfortable NYC is for a native Japanese, over Chef Masa's cuisine. He's already married, so the biggest potential problem is already solved. We need a young ace and I would hate to see this guy in a yankme uniform :angry:

I just don't like being called late to dinner, especially if it is at a restaurant worthy of discussion in this thread!

I would happily volunteer for that recruiting mission!

Twitter - @docsconz

I can't really see any sensible way the Michelin NY Guide could have been unveiled with no 2 or 3-star restaurants. Perhaps restaurants formerly had to earn their stars one at a time. But for a brand new guide, to leave the 2 and 3-star categories empty wouldn't have been credible.

I've been reading the various descriptions of what the stars mean, and I don't see the wild inconsistency that some people complain about. That doesn't mean I agree with the ratings, but the explanations aren't wildly divergent.

If the current guide describes Masa as Midtown East, that is definitely an error. Wherever you think Masa is, it certainly isn't in a different neighborhood than Café Gray or Per Se.

Edited by oakapple (log)

Guides are by their very nature subjective and should always be taken with a grain of salt. It helps to if they are consistent in their approach so that one can at least calibrate them to one's own taste and experience. As published guides go, I think Michelin is as good as any. I have no problem considering their recommendations along with others that I may consider.

As for Zagat, the best thing about that guide is not the numbers, but the descriptors. They at least give some small sense of the gist of a place and they are often fun to read.

Twitter - @docsconz

If the current guide describes Masa as Midtown East, that is definitely an error. Wherever you think Masa is, it certainly isn't in a different neighborhood than Café Gray or Per Se.

As I wrote, Masa and Per SE, in the same building! It's just funny they moved him to Midtown East where all the other Japanese restaurants are..

Edited by raji (log)

Mister Cutlets has another "dog bites man" post over at Grub Street, complaining that, "The descriptions are all breezy, self-contained little blurbs which seem more like something you would read in an airplane magazine's advertorial insert than in the American edition of the oldest and most powerful restaurant guide in the world."

This "feature" is unchanged from the 2006 Guide. The traditional Michelin guides, of course, didn't contain blurbs at all—just lists of restaurants without editorial comment. When they added blurbs for the NY guide last year, quite obviously there was a considered decision to describe the restaurants, not to publicly critique them.

Some of the blurbs last year were factually incorrect. What interests me more is whether those errors have been fixed, and how many new ones have crept in. The bare fact that the guide doesn't overtly critique the restaurants isn't news.

Well..... I don't know that there was any quibbling.. I'm pretty sure all the visitor guides will tell you that 5th Avenue is the middle... any address says XXX WEST 46th Street or XXX EAST 53rd St, etc., so I think it's pretty obvious... I mean come on Michelin, it's a grid.

And Per Se is in the very same building with the same address, and they listed it correctly, as Midtown West. It's probably just a stupid mistake, made it into the press releases, let's see if it made it into print. It's just ironic.

I think you've got the nomenclature mixed up too - "midtown" is a north-south, not east-west, distinction. Midtown is what's in between uptown and downtown. Midtown West is that chunk from 5th to the Hudson. Midtown East is that chunk from 5th to the East River. Midtown West or Clinton, it will always be Hell's Kitchen to me

Semantics aside, you're preaching to the choir about the value proposition - when Masa opened,  with it's hefty price-tag, I think I was the one arguing the loudest that to enjoy dinner and drink at Masa was the same price as off-peak airfare between NY and Tokyo, so you might as well go see for yourself.

That said, according to Michelin, money is no object; it's purely about what is on the plate. And a lot of people don't have the time or money to be going to Japan, although you'd think the type of person who can afford Masa does. I haven't been there yet (have been dying to), but have heard an overwhelming amount of positive food intel, from both Japanese and non-, and being that it is such a feast where you are getting both quality and quantity in an "ethereal" setting, with the attention to detail they strive for,  I'm sure they're aspiring for a third star. The restaurant has 26 seats, they MUST be obsessed with quality control.

Don't assume Masa has all their "stuff" flown in from Japan, the top NY sushi places use sources from all over and usually the fish coming from Japan are those which are only in season or exclusive to that market and those fish suitable to the flash-freezng process as well - that's why Yasuda-san can serve you an uni simultaneously from the North Atlantic and the North Pacific...

I tend to agree with your assessment of Kaiseki in general, but I think at a solid kaiseki like Sugiyama, it's a non-issue, it's always going to taste better than it looks. Megu suffers from sometimes sacrificing flavor for excessively flashy presentation. So it's too bad you haven't had delicious kaiseki - it's supposed to be delicious!

What tourists pay $350 in NY instead of $200 in Tokyo for is Masa - while sushi is a collective process from fish market to plate, there is the artisan who puts it all together and by all accounts there are few better than Masa. And of course you are paying a premium having some of the best fish in the world brought to you here in NY.

Now are the stars a rating on complexity, that could be their sixth stated meaning...

I know how the streets work in Manhattan. Doesn't mean Michelin has to follow the conventions exactly. But if they put Per Se in one location - and Masa in another - that's just wrong (I'd like to know when I'm using a guidebook that 2 places that are in the same building are in the same neighborhood).

I guess if I lived in or near NYC - wanted high end Japanese food of a particular type - and didn't have the time or inclination to go to Japan - I'd try Masa. I do have to point out that many high end Japanese restaurants in Japan (lower end restaurants too) tend to be really small. We had meals at places with fewer than 15 seats (like 10 - maybe 12). With master chefs. Now granted - I had never heard of these chefs before - and I doubt many people in the US - even the most ardent Japanese food enthusiasts - have either. It is because we in the US have almost no knowledge of dining in Japan. That is partially the result of the huge language barrier. Not only do we not (in general) speak any Japanese - the Japanese don't (in general) speak any English. There is very little written in the English language media about high end dining in Japan. And - more importantly - a large % of the chefs in these restaurants do not want patrons who don't speak Japanese. Some don't even want non-Japanese patrons who do speak Japanese. So many aren't open to the average tourist. You have to make inquiries with concierge staffs about which restaurants are available to you for reservations.

If this sounds intimidating - well it can be at times. On the other hand - one day we stumbled into a tempura restaurant in Tokyo which we loved. We later found out the chef was famous. Absolutely no one who worked in the restaurant spoke a word of English. Luckily - my husband speaks a little Japanese - one of the four other patrons spoke a little English - and with the help of the chef (who was not only famous - but friendly) - we had a great time. So I agree with you that serious Japanese food enthusiasts should take that trip to Japan.

I've never eaten Japanese food in New York. At a place like Sugiyama - why do you think the food tastes better than it looks? We did have some delicious "kaiseki" in Japan - but it was more on the lines of "French fusion kaiseki" - as opposed to authentic traditional kaiseki. And the French fusion kaiseki usually tasted better than it looked too. At the most authentic traditional restaurant we ate at - the first course was a perfect model of a Japanese garden during cherry blossom season. It tasted as good as a dish can taste when it only has about 100 calories total :smile: - although I did get to sample some very unusual things that grow and are served only in the spring - vegetables - ferns - etc.).

By the way - if you think Michelin doesn't do justice to Japanese restaurants here - imagine how it might botch up its first guide to Japan! Robyn

Most of the discussion here has been about the stars. I thought I'd have a look at the added and deleted restaurants overall. I compared the tables of contents of the two books. It was rather annoying, as the 2007 guide uses a new alphabetizing system, so restaurants don't always appear in the same order. Hopefully I didn't make too many mistakes.

Anyhow, the following restaurants have been added to the 2007 Guide. I've prefaced the name with [N] if, to the best of my knowledge, the restaurant didn't exist when the 2006 guide was prepared. (Any restaurant that opened after mid-2005 was probably too late for last year's guide.) I've prefaced the name with [O] if, to the best of my knowledge, the restaurant opened before mid-2005, and certainly could have been (but wasn't) included in the '06 guide. A lot of them have no "N" or "O", simply because I don't know when they opened.

Aburiya Kinnosuke

Aja

Ammos Estiatorio

Anna's Corner

Antica Venezia

Antique Garage

[N] A Voce

Barbès

[N] Barbounia

[O] Barbuto

[N] Barca 18

Bay Leaf

Beccofino

Belleville

[N] Bette

BG

Bianca

Blair Perrone

[N] Blaue Gans

Blue Mahoe (The)

[O] Blue Smoke

[N] Brasserie Ruhlmann

Brisas Del Caribe

Brooklyn Fish Camp

Butai

Cacio e Pepe

Carlyle (The)

Chiam

Chikubu

[N] Chinatown Brasserie

[N] Cookshop

Copper Chimney

[N] Country Restaurant

[N] Craftsteak

Crema

Da Antonio

[N] Degustation

[N] Del Posto

De Marco's

[O] Dinosaur Bar-B-Que

[N] Dona

El Parador

Falai

[N] Fatty Crab

Fiesta Mexicana

Frankies 457 Spuntino

Ginger

Gum Fung

Gusto

[N] Harry's Cafe

Hiro

Isle of Capri

J. G. Mellon

Jaiya

Kanoyama

[O] Katz's

Kitchenette

La Bonne Soupe

[N] La Esquina

[N] Le Cirque

Le Refuge Inn

Liberty View

Londel's

[N] Mainland

Max SoHa

Maya

Miss Mamie's Spoonbread Too

Molly's Pub & Shebeen

[N] Morimoto

New Yeah Shanghai

[N] Nobu Fifty-Seven

Noche Mexicana

[N] Orchard (The)

[N] Perry Street

[N] Piano Due

PicNic Market & Café

Prem-on-Thai

[O] Quartino

Regional

Russian Samovar

S'Agapo

Sakagura

Saravanaas

Sarge's

Serafina Fabulous Pizza

Sip Sak

Soba Nippon

Spicy & Tasty

Spiga

Sushi Ichimura

Taboon

[N] Telepan

Tildes

Triangolo

Uva

Wonton Garden

Aside from the obligatory new restaurants, I'm sure that many more of the above restaurants existed a year ago, and the inspectors have only just now gotten around to visiting them. It appeared to me that a high percentage (though not all) of the "Bib Gourmands" went to restaurants new to the '07 Guide. There's a lot of small ethnic restaurants on this list.

The following restaurants in the 2006 guide have been deleted in 2007. If I know that the restaurant has closed, or in the case of ADNY, has announced that it is closing, I put a [C] in front of the name. If I'm fairly certain the restaurant is still open, I put an [O] in front of the name. Again, there are many for which I'm not certain either way.

[C] Alain Ducasse

Aleo

[C] Amuse

Banana Cafe

Barbaluc

[O] Bar Americain

Bellini

[C] Biltmore Room

Bistro Cassis

Bistro Du Vent

Bistro 60

BOI

[C] Caviar and Banana

Fives

Giovanni

Ian

I Coppi

Ida Mae

Il Menestrello

Il Monello

Il Tinello

Iron Sushi

Jane

[C] Jewel Bako Makimono

Josephs Citarella

Khyber Grill

Kitchen82

Koi (East Village)

Lenox Room

[O] Les Halles (Downtown)

[C] Le Zinc

[C] Lo Scalco

Luca

Lucy

Magnifico

Manhattan Ocean Club

Nadaman Hakubai

Nanni

New Wonton Garden

Nice Restaurant (The)

Nippon

[O] North Square

[C] Pace

[O] Palm

Paola's

Park Avalon

Petrosino

Pipa

Pongal

Porcupine

[O] Post House

[O] Roy's New York

[O] Sarabeth's

Scaletta

[C] Second Avenue Deli

[C] 71 Clinton Fresh Food

Shaan of India

Shaffer City

Note that, although the downtown Les Halles was deleted, the midtown Les Halles remains in the guide, and the entry for it mentions the downtown branch.

Edited by oakapple (log)

They even got the neighborhood wrong for Masa, listing it as Midtown East. Think they went?

I don't know what Raji is talking about. I have the book in front of me now. Masa is listed in Midtown West, along with all of the other Time-Warner restaurants.

You bought the guide?

I just saw it here:

Restaurants Borough Neighborhood

Del Posto Manhattan Chelsea

Masa Manhattan Midtown East

Bouley Manhattan Tribeca

Daniel Manhattan Upper East Side

http://www.michelinguide.com/stars_nyc_07.html

You bought the guide?

I just saw it here:

Restaurants    Borough    Neighborhood

Del Posto  Manhattan  Chelsea

Masa  Manhattan  Midtown East

Bouley  Manhattan  Tribeca

Daniel  Manhattan  Upper East Side

http://www.michelinguide.com/stars_nyc_07.html

I bought the guide. The printed book is correct, although the website is clearly wrong.

oh...you were basing this criticism on a press release????

Yeah I saw it wrong in a press release and on their site at the link above...

Mind you I'm not as soured on the list as you may think - I finally tried Devi over the weekend in part encouraged by them earning a star.. :shock:

Edited by raji (log)