• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Help Planning a Get Together for 12

bgut1

For the past 5 years, as a Christmas gift to our staff, my partners and I host a "night on the town" in the City, including a limo, dinner, tickets to a Broadway show and drinks afterwards. Over the last few years we have dined at Carmines as it was close to the theaters, had a fun atmosphere, half way decent food served family style, and could accommodate a large crowd (in our case between 10 and 12 people). Since I am the foodie of the group, they always look to me for suggestions and I have to say I am a bit stumped to find another place that offers all the benefits of Carmines. In the past when we had a smaller group, we had also tried Becco, which was quite good. Any suggestions for dinner (pre-theater)and drinks after an 8 p.m. show? We usually go on a Thursday night. BTW, the group has voted on seeing the Wedding Singer (provided it will still be running in January). Thanks for your help.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

Marseilles - much better food, MUCCCH better wine list, big room (former bank)

Hell's Kitchen - nothing makes workmates get along better than really really good margaritas. food here is spectacular

Drinks, you might try the penthouse lounge at 230 5th, that's real nice.

Hell's Kitchen - nothing makes workmates get along better than really really good margaritas. food here is spectacular

Raji - Thanks for the quick reply. Both of these places sound fantastic however, while Marseilles is a nice sized place, the food may be a little over the top for most of my office staff (i.e. pates, cous cous, leg of lamb, and bouillabaise - although I'm sure they would love the grilled items). On the other hand, Hell's Kitchen's menu sounds perfect however the space looks too small to accomodate our party. Any other ideas? BTW, the Penthouse Lounge looks fantastic. We had tried the View at the Marriott Marquis one year and they should enjoy 230 5th even more. Again thank you for your suggestion.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

Raji - Thanks for the quick reply. Both of these places sound fantastic however, while Marseilles is a nice sized place, the food may be a little over the top for most of my office staff (i.e. pates, cous cous, leg of lamb, and bouillabaise - although I'm sure they would love the grilled items). On the other hand, Hell's Kitchen's menu sounds perfect however the space looks too small to accomodate our party. Any other ideas? BTW, the Penthouse Lounge looks fantastic. We had tried the View at the Marriott Marquis one year and they should enjoy 230 5th even more. Again thank you for your suggestion.

Hell's Kitchen has a few large tables in the back, so they can definitely fit you...

Marseille's menu isn't THAT fancy, is it? I mean you _are_ getting a limo, aren't you? Let me know if you need a limo company btw

Oh yeah, Tintol, the Portugese Tapas place off times Square, that's another winner. Search for the thread here about it.

Hell's Kitchen has a few large tables in the back, so they can definitely fit you...

Marseille's menu isn't THAT fancy, is it? I mean you _are_ getting a limo, aren't you? Let me know if you need a limo company btw

Oh yeah, Tintol, the Portugese Tapas place off times Square, that's another winner. Search for the thread here about it.

Don't get me wrong, to you and me, the food at Marseille is perfectly pedestrian however to many of my staff from south jersey it would be too much. That's why Carmine's was perfect ... for them. I will take a look at Tintol. Again thanks.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

Believe me, if they're going to be freaked out by Marseille, they're going to be positively SPOOKED by Tintol.

Having read the reviews of Tintol I think I agree. Pulling out my trusty Zagat (I hope Zagat is not a bad word on this forum), I've come up with a list of prospective restaurants:

1. Bond 45

2. Esca

3. The District

4. Orso

5. Osteria al Doge

6. Ruby Foo's

Any comments or suggestions with regard to any of the above restaurants? Thanks in advance.

I don't know what your budget is, but if it can go a bit high you might think about Bar Americain.

I've had decent food at Osteria al Doge (unless I'm thinking of Tratorria del Teatro).

The problem is, of course, that we're the exact wrong people to ask about this.

PS -- Won't the raw fish at Esca (BY FAR the best place on your list) disturb your coworkers?

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

Believe me, if they're going to be freaked out by Marseille, they're going to be positively SPOOKED by Tintol.

Having read the reviews of Tintol I think I agree. Pulling out my trusty Zagat (I hope Zagat is not a bad word on this forum), I've come up with a list of prospective restaurants:

1. Bond 45

errr

2. Esca

YES

3. The District

errr

4. Orso

ummm

5. Osteria al Doge

hmmmm

6. Ruby Foo's

nonono

Any comments or suggestions with regard to any of the above restaurants? Thanks in advance.

Is Asiate or the Modern too expensive to you? Those are showstoppers...

Churrascaria Plataforma would also be a blast, if you want to absolutely gorge them

Bann could be fun for Korean

I think Sneakeater is right -

BTW you have the limo, so the city is your oyster, do you want to open up to the rest of Manhattan or still only Theatre District? Sounds like any of the big restaurants down Park Avenue could fit the bill for your party...

Edited by raji (log)

1. Bond 45

errr

2. Esca

YES

3. The District

errr

4. Orso

ummm

5. Osteria al Doge

hmmmm

6. Ruby Foo's

nonono

Is Asiate or the Modern too expensive to you? Those are showstoppers...

Churrascaria Plataforma would also be a blast, if you want to absolutely gorge them

Bann could be fun for Korean

I think Sneakeater is right -

BTW you have the limo, so the city is your oyster, do you want to open up to the rest of Manhattan or still only Theatre District? Sounds like any of the big restaurants down Park Avenue could fit the bill for your party...

I would love to go to Asiate or the Modern however both are too pricey and would more than likely not be appreciated by my staff. Instead I'm looking for a fun atmosphere with decent food located not too far from the theater district as we usually push the dinner to right before the curtain rises.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

Becco, as you already know. i've had dinner with 10-12 there, so they can handle it.

there's nothing wrong with Bond 45 or Ruby Foos in my opinion, especially given the circumstances. each are notably more "fun" than Osteria al Doge, for example, and you can eat relatively well.

Esca has plenty of offerings other than raw fish. however, it's not quite fun, and strikes me as a bit serious for this type of event. unless it's an event of foodies, which i'm thinking it's not.

the Palm (steakhouse) has private rooms and can do something for you, getting you in and out in time for the curtain.

Virgil's BBQ.

i'm all about fun and decent food.

It's just funny that it's so obviously responsive, but nobody mentioned it till now.  (Not to take anything away from your achievement, of course.)

I actually had Virgils in my orginal post but edited it out thinking BBQ may not be an "approporiate" dining option. Notwithstanding their limited taste in food, I'm not sure my staff can get excited about going to a BBQ restaurant. A good idea none the less. After everything is said and done, I'm thinking Bond 45 .........

Edited by bgut1 (log)

It's just funny that it's so obviously responsive, but nobody mentioned it till now.  (Not to take anything away from your achievement, of course.)

I actually had Virgils in my orginal post but edited it out thinking BBQ may not be an "approporiate" dining option. Notwithstanding their limited taste in food, I'm not sure my staff can get excited about going to a BBQ restaurant. A good idea none the less. After everytthing is said and done, I'm thinking Bond 45 .........

I had over 12 at Il Bastardo recently, and that was a lot of fun, it's a little further away at 20th and 7th, but fits your bill...

And FWIW I didn't see people getting back into a limo with sticky fingers either... otherwise might have been a good suggestion...!

Edited by raji (log)

I actually had Virgils in my orginal post but edited it out thinking BBQ may not be an "approporiate" dining option. Notwithstanding their limited taste in food, I'm not sure my staff can get excited about going to a BBQ restaurant. A good idea none the less. After everytthing is said and done, I'm thinking Bond 45 .........

I had over 12 at Il Bastardo recently, and that was a lot of fun, it's a little further away at 20th and 7th, but fits your bill...

And FWIW I didn't see people getting back into a limo with sticky fingers either... otherwise might have been a good suggestion...!

Il Bastardo sounds nice however I doubt we will have the time to leave the theater district. With regard to the limousine, its just a huge van with driver. Usually, its parked near the theater after dropping us off for dinner and we walk from the restaurant to the show/play. Again thanks for all the advice.

I should have known having read some of your prior posts. :smile: After going through this exercise, I took an informal poll of my office staff to find out that they want to go back to Carmine's for a 4th year in a row. I should have known. When you think about, Carmine's really is the only one of its kind in the theater district as it offers a lot of fun and great atmosphere in a central location. Add the mamoth portions of quite decent garlicky food served family style and you really can't beat it for the touristy crowd. I guess that's why its always packed. Thanks everyone for your help and I hope I didn't waste too much of your time. BTW, I will add Esca to MY short list.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

I should have known having read some of your prior posts. :smile: After going through this exercise, I took an informal poll of my office staff to find out that they want to go back to Carmine's for a 4th year in a row. I should have known. When you think about, Carmine's really is the only one of its kind in the theater district as it offers a lot of fun and great atmosphere in a central location. Add the mamoth portions of quite decent garlicky food served family style and you really can't beat it for the touristy crowd. I guess that's why its always packed. Thanks everyone for your help and I hope I didn't waste too much of your time.

In that case, I'd just go to John's Pizzeria in Times Square for better food...Top 10 NY pizza, plenty of other choices, great wine list, huge room on 44th (converted church, very close) and not the 4th freakin' year in a row!

I should have known having read some of your prior posts. :smile: After going through this exercise, I took an informal poll of my office staff to find out that they want to go back to Carmine's for a 4th year in a row. I should have known. When you think about, Carmine's really is the only one of its kind in the theater district as it offers a lot of fun and great atmosphere in a central location. Add the mamoth portions of quite decent garlicky food served family style and you really can't beat it for the touristy crowd. I guess that's why its always packed. Thanks everyone for your help and I hope I didn't waste too much of your time.

In that case, I'd just go to John's Pizzeria in Times Square for better food...Top 10 NY pizza, plenty of other choices, great wine list, huge room on 44th (converted church, very close) and not the 4th freakin' year in a row!

Trust me ... I agree ... but what do I say to the ladies ... they want to go. :smile: I normally don't get the oportunity to go into the City and for the past five years I have endured mediocrity. I'd rather pocket the money and go to Masa. Anybody want to join me? :biggrin:

Edited by bgut1 (log)