• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving in Key West?

tampabayrealtor

We're heading down to Key West for the week of Thanksgiving and are wondering if we'll find any fine dining on Thanksgiving Day.  Any ideas?

You may want to consider Alice's. Copy of their Thanksgiving menu is here.

I was going to recommend Cafe des Artistes, but a quick Google shows that there was a major renovation and it's now called Pisces Key West. Same owner for 20+ years, and the 'about' page leads me to believe that you can still have an excellent meal here.

"The name change was a hard thought decision brought about by the fact that the restaurant, through the years, has been moving steadily away from being a true French Restaurant. Chef Andrew Berman and owner Timothy Ryan believe that the new changes will provide an opportunity for us to offer our patrons an expanded culinary experience."

Oh, and there are Andy Warhols on the walls, if that matters to you...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Rant!

I've never been to Alice's, but what's with the choice of salmon as the fish dish. Just my opinion, but If I'm in Key West I don't want turkey, no matter what time of year it is. I want to see fresh snapper, grouper, mahi or any other local fresh fish and shellfish on the menu.

I was just down there in August, and both Alice's and Pisces are excellent choices. I would also suggest Alice's does serve fresh fish on an availability basis. The salmon is just a regular menu item, because some people will order Salmon regardless of their location. Blue Heaven is not too shabby, but may be more casual than you are looking for. Seven Fish also comes to mind.

Some time during your visit, you must do 915 Duval. An upscale tapas and wine bar, they had just added a tasting menu when I was there last. Five courses paired with five wines, $60. Great place, and I cannot reccomend it highly enough, you just have to go and try it. Local's favorite, a huge wine list with amazing selections by the glass.

http://www.915duval.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for what appear to be GREAT suggestions! I made reservations at Pisces Key West for Thanksgiving day and will go to Alice's for their big dinner that Tuesday. And we'll be sure to get to 915 Duval while we're there, too. Very much appreciate the advice!

I don't know a damn thing about Key West dining, but if the whole idea of eating dinner on Thanksgiving at Alice's restaurant doesn't tickle you, find someone over 45 who smoked dope is his or her youth, and ask them why you should do it.

"Walk right in it's around the back

Just a half a mile from the railroad track

You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant

Now it all started two Thanksgivings ago, was on - two years ago on

Thanksgiving, when my friend and I went up to visit Alice at the

restaurant..."

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I don't know a damn thing about Key West dining, but if the whole idea of eating dinner on Thanksgiving at Alice's restaurant doesn't tickle you, find someone over 45 who smoked dope is his or her youth, and ask them why you should do it.

"Walk right in it's around the back

Just a half a mile from the railroad track

You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant

Now it all started two Thanksgivings ago, was on - two years ago on

Thanksgiving, when my friend and I went up to visit Alice at the

restaurant..."

That occured to me as well! That movie is played every Thanksgiving evening after the ball games as we eat leftovers and pie.

Justice is Blind...

:biggrin: