• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: johnder - Bouncing Around Brooklyn

johnder

Given Donbert to0k almost 140 photos during the event, I went through and selected the best ones. Even with that, there are almost 40 photos to post. (You asked for it).

I want to thank Donberts help in taking the photos, as well as my sous-chefs Don and Sam to help in plating, stirring risotto, etc.

All set...

gallery_28660_3644_130469.jpg

First, a mystery man with blazing hands double shaking a few juniperitivos.

gallery_28660_3644_23093.jpg

So tasty.

gallery_28660_3644_136528.jpg

So first the Venison raviolo, topped with a reduced veal / juniper infused jus, parm reggiano and a sage leaf.

gallery_28660_3644_173087.jpg

Unfortunatley the dinner tonight started off on a sour note. I originally wanted to make the raviolo much smaller, but in a test run I did with a very small one, the size really didn't permit the ragu flavor to come through. Hence it was super sized. Almost to the point it was a course itself. I slightly undercooked the raviolo, and the pasta sheet was slightly too big. Flavor wise it was bang on, but could use some re-working.

Next up. The fois. First plating the torchon and the poached pear.

gallery_28660_3644_108149.jpg

Then a few sunflower sprouts with a simple lemon vinagrette.

gallery_28660_3644_237981.jpg

Searing off the fois.

gallery_28660_3644_351461.jpg

The plated fois with the peach/bourbon/sichuan chutney.

gallery_28660_3644_81618.jpg

I need some coffee, I will post more photos after I have some

:shock:

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Next up, the risotto. Here is about a pound of lobster mushrooms being added to the risotto.

gallery_28660_3644_267222.jpg

Stir stir stir

gallery_28660_3644_322518.jpg

Sauteing the chantrelle mushrooms to top the risotto. Simply cooking in some thyme with copious amounts of butte.

gallery_28660_3644_288097.jpg

Mounting up the risotto with a wee bit of butter.

gallery_28660_3644_179828.jpg

Plating up the ristotto

gallery_28660_3644_291404.jpg

Finsihed, topped with a little veal jus reduction.

gallery_28660_3644_178662.jpg

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Yes, yes. I know everyone has been waiting and waiting for the pork belly. Well your time has come.

Crisping up the pork on a sizzle plate under the infrared.

gallery_28660_3644_237266.jpg

gallery_28660_3644_126359.jpg

See all that fat that came out from the crisping in the picture above? Can't let that go to waste! Let's use it in the sprouts.

gallery_28660_3644_167693.jpg

Pork on top of the parsnip puree

gallery_28660_3644_210920.jpg

Adding the bergamot soaked prune.

gallery_28660_3644_239673.jpg

A little bit of veal stock, some cream that had some beragmot infused in it, along with some of the tea soaking liquid. Added a touch of lechitin

gallery_28660_3644_99063.jpg

whipped it up with a bamix

gallery_28660_3644_199200.jpg

plated

gallery_28660_3644_221999.jpg

Man this was good. My only critique of this is that I had it under the broiler maybe a minute too long. While the extra time added more crispness to the dish, I think I sacrificed some of the jelly like qualityof the fat that came from the SV process. Regardless it was still good. The tea/milk/prune sauce was really good too, although the foam, even with the lechitin added didn't last very long.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

Tomato salad. This was the opposite of every other dish. 4 ingredients.

Tomatoes

Salt

Olive Oil

Lemon Vinegar.

A good acidic palate cleanser after the rich pork dish.

gallery_28660_3644_44323.jpg

On the subject of salt... Kosher, Fine Sea, Sea, Maldon.

Also Vadouvan's liquid seasoning.

gallery_28660_3644_142945.jpg

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

Cheese. I passed off the cheese course to Donbert, former cheesemonger turned IT guy, part time cocktail master. I lost the piece of paper I had the cheese names written down on. One was a Gorgonzola, and the other was a raw milk sheeps.

Cutting the sheep...

gallery_28660_3644_54998.jpg

Making some quenelles of the gorgonzola.

gallery_28660_3644_38325.jpg

Served with some slightly under-ripe pears to have some acidity to cut through the rich cheese (which you remember I whipped up with a tad of french butter)

gallery_28660_3644_55567.jpg

The sheeps cheese was put on top of some Luxardo cherries which were soaked in bourbon for a few hours.

gallery_28660_3644_22872.jpg

Added some of the bourbon cherry liquid as a garnish.

gallery_28660_3644_14035.jpg

Finished! (thanks Donbert!)

gallery_28660_3644_27548.jpg

I will let Don fill you in on the specifics of the cheeses he brought. They were really awesome!

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

Dessert. My wife was responsible for the desert thankfully. She made a really amazing honeyed panna cotta, though to be truthful, she's made a buttermilk pc in the past that's a better recipe (first time with the honeyed recipe). Before service she topped each one with a spoonful of the pear poaching liquid and a sliver of a super ripe fig.

gallery_28660_3644_34468.jpg

A great way to end the evening.

Finally, the wines... not bad. 8 wines, 8 people. (not to mention, uh, a few cocktails, just a few). As you can tell we had a lot of older California wines.

gallery_28660_3644_44491.jpg

gallery_28660_3644_58548.jpg

gallery_28660_3644_39400.jpg

gallery_28660_3644_16728.jpg

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

Fast forward to this morning. Giant coffee. Double espresso shot, iced, topped with Ronnybrook farms Coffee milk.

gallery_28660_3644_10774.jpg

Leftover brioche, french butter, jam.

gallery_28660_3644_7496.jpg

Even the Dune is tired after last night.

gallery_28660_3644_20280.jpg

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

Awesome John....looks great.

How did the cure length come out with the belly ?

cheers

The timing was good on the lenght of time, although as I mentioned I think I reduced some of the texture I spent so long getting with the SV by keeping under the broiler for about a minute too long. The spice mix cure was noticable in the final product, the flavors of the fennel and star anise really working nicely with the pork.

The fat was nicely jelled and melted in your mouth. Really a good cure / lenght of time I think. Next time just a little less final searing. But the recipe is definately a keeper. Having a great belly to work with surely helps too.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

Just what we've all been waiting for---just spectacular. Is that the host lying on the floor before dessert?

Last night as we had our burgers from the grill, I imagined I could smell the delicious aromas from your kitchen. The colors had a life of their own, as well.

We're off to lunch, and after this, I hope there's no waiting. Wow.

Just what we've all been waiting for---just spectacular.  Is that the host lying on the floor before dessert? 

I should have explained that. No, that is a guest. He needed to lie down befoe desert, he was a little overwhelmed.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

Fantastic looking dinner! Congratulations on pulling it off. Nice pic of Sam with both arms shakin'.

John, have you been to SK? The style is somewhat reminiscent.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

40 minutes until cocktails start, 1:40 for dinner.  Here are the final photos until after the dinner is over. 

Plates for each course are setup.  Cheese garnish is ready, Tomato salad waiting to be dressed.  Weinoo, here is the espresso machine.  You were correct, it was next to the fridge.

gallery_28660_3644_207151.jpg

Your square and rectangular plates are great. I adore square plates. Where did you get yours? Anybody have any reasonably priced suppliers?

Great blog, BTW - I'm so full from dinner I could burst, but you're still managing to make me salivate...

You won't believe it, but the square & rectangle plates were from Target. Love that place.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

Fantastic looking dinner! Congratulations on pulling it off. Nice pic of Sam with both arms shakin'.

John, have you been to SK? The style is somewhat reminiscent.

I have not been there. I can only dream to aspire to such greatness.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

Some tasting notes on the cheese from the cheesemaster donbert.

Pyrenees Brebis

A pressed, uncooked cheese, made of raw sheep's milk, and aged for 4-6 months. Made in the Pyrenees, exactly the Basque country and the Bearn - the Ossau Valley. This small scale artisan production has a thick yellow/orange rind with a smattering of grey mold. The white or ivory paste is firm and dense but smooth with unctuous butterfat. Often best in the spring as the cheese produced from the fall milkings is more floral. Sweet, nearly caramelly, with grassy, nutty undertones. Wine can be full bodied red, even slightly spicy like Madiran,.... or sweet and white like Jurançon. Aged by Hervé Mons outside of Roanne, France. Legend has it that Aristee, the famous shepherd and son of Apollo, created the Ossau-Iraty cheese.

Region: Pyrenees-Atlantique

Departement: Aquitaine

AOC: 1980

Type: semi-hard

Rennet: Animal

Milk: Raw Basco-Bearnaise or Manech sheep

Gorgonzola Cremificato

Cremificato is made from just the gently pasteurized morning milk of local cows. The blue cultures are added to the milk before coagulation, and the curd is left large, wet, heavy with moisture. So thick is the paste that when pierced, the curds cave in, minimizing the blue veining that can occur. The resulting flavor is rich, pungent and profoundly “sweet”. Frequently used in Italy in sauces or on fresh bread. Superb, too, for dessert with fresh pears, apples or simply drizzle with honey. THE BEST GORGONZOLA EVER!

Region: Lombardia

DOP: Yes

Type: soft

Beverage: Riesling, Orvieto Classico, Merlot

Rennet: Animal

Milk: Pasteurized Cow

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I am in awe. I'd faint with pleasure if someone cooked me an amazing meal like that, too! :smile:

You're not just doing Brooklyn proud, you're doing our neighborhood proud, too. So nice to see Park Slope represented so well.

Er, what's SK?

I am in awe.  I'd faint with pleasure if someone cooked me an amazing meal like that, too!    :smile: 

You're not just doing Brooklyn proud, you're doing our neighborhood proud, too.  So nice to see Park Slope represented so well.

Er, what's SK?

Thanks for the compliment! I am flattered. Who knows, maybe when I recover from this dinner we can have a Brooklynite dinner. (Doc, we will have to bring you back down one day!)

Studiokitchen. Words can't describe it.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

So today is a relaxing day for the most part. Just finshing up the cleaning at this point. Around 5 we are going to head into the city to stop by Gramercy Tavern for a drink to sample one or two of Jim's drinks. Hopefully pick up the recipe for the Champs Elysee for Katie.

After that we are going to head back and have a low key dinner at home. Any suggestions?

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I did it at 75C.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

Did I mention that I am jealous of your kitchen?

Are you sure you don't want a six month sabbatical in San Francisco to redo mine?  I'd pay you in cocktails!

Hah, paying in cocktails and doing good work may not go exactly hand in hand. :wink:

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

So today is a relaxing day for the most part. Just finshing up the cleaning at this point. Around 5 we are going to head into the city to stop by Gramercy Tavern for a drink to sample one or two of Jim's drinks. Hopefully pick up the recipe for the Champs Elysee for Katie.

You truly are my hero, for a hundred reasons. This is only one of them. :wub:

Say hi to Jim for me. He's da man.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

So in my never ending quest for apricot liquor/brandy I decided to see what I could do with making my own. Well, let's just say it wasn't so great.

I took 2 pounds of dried apricots and added about a quart of vodka. Let it sit for 2 weeks and got this.

gallery_28660_3644_65722.jpg

The apricots soaked up the vodka and got nice and plump. Straining off the liquid that was left over was easy.

gallery_28660_3644_8575.jpg

The question was how do I try to extract more liquid from the plumped up apricots.

First I tried my juicer. I managed to get a small amount out, but not enough.

gallery_28660_3644_27002.jpg

Next I tried grinding it up in the food processor.

gallery_28660_3644_45528.jpg

Tried the juicer again. Bad idea. Big mess.

gallery_28660_3644_10353.jpg

Ok, lets try this another way. Piled it all in a clean kitchen towel, put between two sticks and twisted. Probably got out another 1 oz of liquid. I really need access to a centrifuge.

gallery_28660_3644_81741.jpg

I cut my losses, sending it through the filter. Once it all goes through I am going to add some brandy, a dash of simple and see what I can do with it.

gallery_28660_3644_6491.jpg

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--