• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations near U of P?

Mano

What restaurants would you recommend within 1-2 miles of Univ. of PA? Looking for a Wednesday around 6:30 reservation, moderately priced.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

2 miles from Penn includes most of Center City. Do you really mean that, or do you want something that's in the neighborhood of Penn?

Here are some suggestions for West Philadelphia/University City... There are lots more; this is just skimming some of the cream:

West Phila. BYOBs

Rx is a terrific restaurant, one of my favorite BYOBs; they're at 45th and Spruce. They also have a great $25 prix fixe on weekdays.

Marigold Kitchen is also in that neighborhood, another really good BYOB (though I haven't been there in ages).

West Phila. ethnic

Vientiane on Baltimore Ave. (Laotian-Thai) is always good.

I also like Dahlak (also on Baltimore Ave.) for cheap Ethiopian.

Right near Penn

The White Dog Cafe has been there for, like, ever, and I've always found it reliable, if less exciting at this point than it used to be.

I always hear good things about Penne, though I've never been there.

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

2 miles from Penn includes most of Center City.  Do you really mean that, or do you want something that's in the neighborhood of Penn?

Good point. Looking for something in the Penn/Drexel neighborhood. Rx and Marigold sound good.

Keep the recommendations comming!

While maybe a little pricier than "moderate," Pod on 37th (i think?) and Sansom is worth the extra cost.

Pod

Also, Restaurant Nan on 41st and Chestnut is very good.

- KOBI

Will second Nan, one of our all time favorite for Frech/Thai. It's also byo. Agree about White Dog, but I do like the place anyway. It has a funky sort of intelligent slant to it-must be all the college profs I guess

I'm afraid I've not much to add, as U City is still one of the least interesting culinary destinations in town unless you're just looking for inexpensive and very basic "ethnic" food. That said, I will strongly add my votes for Marigold Kitchen and Nan. Marigold is turning out some of the best BYO fare in Philly right now and Nan, though a bit old-school, is a consistently solid spot for classic French-Thai fusion.

If you're leaning towards the White Dog Cafe, I'd recommend the Piano Bar, ask for one of the tables next the window :wub: I've always got it when asked for.

They also have nice table for up to 6 at the other end of the room which is quite nice, a bit separate.

My top 5 recs:

RX

Marigold Kitchen

Penne

White Dog Cafe

Nan

Ditto + Vientiane.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Would second/third the recommendation for Penne ... nearby (same block as the U of P bookstore), handmade pasta made before your eyes (ask for the chef's table, next to the cutters, if you like, or there are tables in the alcoves that are a little more private) and the chef (Roberta) and chef de cuisine are both wonderfully trained and incredibly friendly. Food is excellent across the range and a great wine bar.

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

Would second/third the recommendation for Penne ... nearby (same block as the U of P bookstore), handmade pasta made before your eyes (ask for the chef's table, next to the cutters, if you like, or there are tables in the alcoves that are a little more private) and the chef (Roberta) and chef de cuisine are both wonderfully trained and incredibly friendly. Food is excellent across the range and a great wine bar.

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

Thank you all for your recommendations. We decided on Nan but will be visiting often enough that we'll certainly try RX, Marigold Kitchen. Penne and White Dog.

Any wine suggestions for Nan? They have venison (zin?), lamb (cab?), pad thai (Belgian beer or a Gwertztraminer?), duck (pinot Noir?). I could bring a rhone...

Any wine suggestions for Nan?  They have venison (zin?), lamb (cab?), pad thai (Belgian beer or a Gwertztraminer?), duck (pinot Noir?).  I could bring a rhone...

I think you'll get the best mileage, relative to the complete menu at Nan, out of a dry Riesling from Germany or Austria in the white department and a medium-bodied Rhone or a young, fruit-centered Burgundy for a red.

Any wine suggestions for Nan?  They have venison (zin?), lamb (cab?), pad thai (Belgian beer or a Gwertztraminer?), duck (pinot Noir?).  I could bring a rhone...

I think you'll get the best mileage, relative to the complete menu at Nan, out of a dry Riesling from Germany or Austria in the white department and a medium-bodied Rhone or a young, fruit-centered Burgundy for a red.

Agree with the Riesling suggestion. Last time we were there I had a rack of lamb special that a big cab or zin could have stood up to.

Thanks, again, for your suggestions.

As we opened the door to Nan, I realized we'd been there several years ago after, I believe, a positive review from LaBan. I remember dining there because the food was good but service was poor. Throughout the entire evening our waitress kept forgetting us! The manager, who was a Doppleganger for Philadelphia DA, Lynn Abraham, saw that all was not well as we were waiting for our check for quite a while. She explained the waitress was getting ready to leave for college and her mind was elsewhere. "Lynn" apologized and said that to make it up to us, we should remind her of who we are and what happened the next time we dined there.

Fast forward to September 2006. We arrived at 6:00. The food was very good and we drank an Alsace, which paired well with the Thai dishes. The service started out fine, as there were only about ten other diners. Soon, Nan was about 75% filled and the one waiter and his assistant/server couldn't keep up. We absolutely had to leave at a particular time and figured 1.75 hours would be plenty of time for four people. Seeing the waitstaff struggling, we even asked for our check as we were finishing our meals, with about 30 minutes to spare. I had a credit card ready and waiting, but when the check finally came, there wasn't enough time, so I left cash.

In the end, we were out of there at exactly 7:45. Unforturnately, "Lynn" was nowhere in sight. :laugh:

Edited by Mano (log)