• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your favorite dish

Spending so much time in the kitchens, I would guess that you got fed some titbits from time to time by the chefs. If that is the case, what was the nicest thing you got to eat.

Also, what was your favourite dish when you ate in the dining room.

I did get wonderful nibbles from time to time, Andy. My mouth waters just thinking about them. My favorite times in the kitchen were when Alex Lee would ask me if I were hungry. Often he would whip up the simplest things, but since he has a magic touch, they would be the most delicious in the world. I remember once he made spaghetti with garlic, olive oil, and chopped anchovies, tossing it with fluffy, gorgeously chopped parsley and grated parmesan, and that was one of the best things I've ever eaten in my life, unlikely as it may sound. When he came back from Piedmont he made an unbelievable fettucine with fontina and shaved white truffles. Why can't I eat that right now?

I'm going to think about other wonderful tidbits, and look into my notes so I get them exactly right--so I'll come back and answer further. Usually I had specials, especially in the kitchen. I'll describe some of these, which were usually pretty elaborate, with amazing vegetable garnishes. Often I'd bring them up to Daniel's office--the skybox--so no one would have to witness the looks of rapture on my face as I savored them. As for regular menu items, I was very fond of the beef duo--braised short ribs and filet mignon with celery root puree. More on this later...

Andy, if it's any consolation, whenever I was there in connection with my proposal for the web site, all I only remember getting a few garlic focaccia rolls. But they were so good right out of the oven that I suspect that's not much consolation. It sounds as if Leslie had to get her hands dirty from time to time and her free food was just compensation. I wonder if it's fair to ask Leslie if the fact that the kitchen at Daniel is one of the few that are reasonably air conditioned had anything to do with her choice of subject.

:biggrin:

Leslie, just kidding. I tend to agree with your choice of subject and for the reasons you generally offer elsewhere

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Andy, this question has been eating away at me :raz: for the past week. I've come to realize that it's because I'm not really the kind of person who has favorite dishes, odd as that may sound. What I love at Daniel is the style of cooking and the technical skill and the creativity, and I always love to try something new to see what Daniel and his chefs are up to. For that reason, I love to try the specials there--Alex and the sous-chefs really strut their stuff with them. In general, what I love best about the dishes at Daniel are the elaborate vegetable garnishes and the sauces, often meat jus, even for fish.